The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I don't have any pics, but the sunflower zoos I got from Chuck opened up within minutes of being put in the tank. And they look awesome. Thanks alot Chuck

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian,
I will snap a photo of that Nepthea tomorrow since my lights are off for the evening. and with so many new corals in there i dont wanna turn them on to snap a photo and make them more upset. but anyways it really is not looking real great right now.

How long should it take for that Toadstool to attach? Once it attaches just pull the toothpick out?

Tim

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Thank you Brian for having us over! Now you guys can grow em out and spread them around someday.:beer:

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly Chuck, that is the first zoo frag besides yellow polyps that i have had open for me.

i am just thinking if it has something to do with the size of the polyps, since these pinks are big polyps like the yellows and the frag i got from Mary are the tiny polyped ones. but why would that matter? Like i told you today, i will give em another week or so, then i will let you put em in ur tank to see if they open.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I'm sure the green nepthea will come around. It doesn't like being cut, but it will usually stretch back out within one or two days. The main thing that I always watch for is to see if the base starts to melt away. If it doesn't work out, I can always get you another one and make sure I get it attached ahead of time.

I mounted the frag last Monday, so hopefully it will be attached to the rock within another week if it's not already attached. I should have looked at it when I took it out of my tank. Try to see if you can spin the toadstool around on the toothpick. If not, it is probably already attached to the rock. I believe that the toothpic is in a hole that goes all the way through to rock. If so, you can either pinch the coral down to the rock and pull the toothpick out or push it through the the other side of the rock and pull it out from that side.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian,
No, the toadstool is not attached, i spun the leather around on the toothpick by accident so i know it isnt attached. So once it attaches i will follow your procedure.

The Nepthea hasnt shrivelled at all. I pinched pretty good between 2 rocks. where there is low flow. But it is completely limp and bent in half? actually the tip of it is touching my sandbed. So you think it may straighten itself upright?

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
If you end up having a problem getting the toadstool to attach, you can always remove the toothpick and use superglue.

The nepthea does get really "limp" when it gets touched or is moved between tanks. It will stretch back up soon. Like I said earlier though, about the only thing that I ever worry about it when fragging is to watch and see if the base starts to melt away. Somehow, whenever I pinch it between rocks, it always fonds a way to escape. I hope you have better luck. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE on the nepthea, because it will melt.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Brian what was the bright green frag that I got from you? Just trying to figure out what to attach it with.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
That's the green nepthea that I haven't figured out the best way to attach yet. I've tried super glue, toothpick, rubberband, pinching it between rocks, etc... Nothing has been 100% effective. The best way that I have found is to try using a string to tie it to a rock. This way you can adjust the tension better than a rubberband. Too loose and it will get away and too tight and it will split in half. DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE OR A TOOTHPICK. Either one will cause the base to melt away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts