The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TRT,

Some info on my tank.

90 Gallon up and running for 4 months. 30 Gallon Sump running Carbon, DSB and some LR in Refug. No Skimmer running right now.

I recently got a massive bacteria bloom, which from my research suggest it's heterotrophs. I only have a couple soft corals and 2 small Clowns. I only feed some pelletes once a day.

What's the best way to get rid of this bloom and clear up the water? it's currently a thick milky white.

Readings:

.5 AMM (Been at 0 for weeks until the bloom got bad)
0 Nitrites
0 Nitrates
8.2 PH

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
sounds like something died and kickstarted this, otherwise you may be overfeeding. the ammonia levels can cause permanent gill damage to your fish so you should definitely start with a water change. do you have another tank you could move them to temporarily? additionally there are products out there that claim to remove ammonia (like Prime) and decloud water (like Clarity) that may help in the short term but do not rely on them as a permanent fix

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may have found it. My Mushroom frag looks like it was deteriorating pretty bad. Evrtything else is doing well but with 0 nitrates/phosphates I guess it was too "Clean"

Would the dying shroom cause the bacterial bloom?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took the depleting mushroom out of the tank a few days ago and it's not getting any better. Can't even see my clowns from one side to the other (4') and my Amm is still creeping up to .25-.5 I have an ATO with RODI and did a 10% Water change which did nothing.

Here's some more info on the tank

90 Gallon - Been up and running for about 4 months. Used a raw shrimp to cycle.

2 Clowns
1 Firefish
1 Royal Gramma

Green Rhodactis
2 Small Zoa Colnies
Purple Sea Whip
GSP

.25AMM
0 nitrites
0 Nitrates
8.1 PH

30 Gallon Sump:
Live Rock
DSB
Was running Carbon (Removed it as I read it can cause bacteria blooms after a while)

Nothing dead in the tank k(That I can see). Fish seem happy though I had a Yellow Watchman I added die within 24 hrs. It wasn't looking too good from the shipping.

Any ideas on:

A. whats causing this and
B how to get rid of it???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No skimmer.

I added a 18w UV sterilizer and it cleared up in a day. Keeping an eye on it now to make sure it doesn’t come back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts