The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dude was right. These things are little hoovers. I have been watching him suck up flatworms all morning.

IGNORE THE DIATOMS BEHIND THE GLASS!!! LOL. Thursday and Friday feeding before the water change. Happens every week.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
what else do they feed on? i have been trying to decide between one of these or the berghia(sp?) nudibranch. i have a pretty consistent aptaisia problem, never getting to large or uncontrollable, but never going away either. i just noticed flatworms (the clear ones) 2 days ago in my refugium area in my sump. I havent seen them in the display yet but i want to hit it before its a real problem. my point is the i only saw 3-4 flatworms so i would need something that lives off of something besides just the flatworms

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Aside from the common name velvet nudibranch. Is there a better name I should be looking for in order to purchase one?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Couple things on this.

1. the Velvet Nudi's scientific name is Chelidonura varians, I believe

2. Velvets are obligate flatworm eaters (ONLY eat flatworms). They will starve once they're all gone.

3. Nudi's, in GENERAL will starve in any reef system. Very little is known about the species dietary needs (each of which is usually VERY specific), and as a result, they will almost always starve in our reef tanks inside of 6 months. WORSE is, they are EXTREMELY flexible, and are well known for squeezing into the tightest of spaces, and eventually getting blended by our pumps. Gorgeous critters, but I EXTEMELY urge any and all to reconsider before purchasing these guys.

More info on Nudi's that you'll know what to do with:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nudibran.htm

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its not really complicated to keep what they eat at a minimum level for them to survive after they have depleted the excess that you are trying to get rid of.

As for the nudis getting sucked into pumps and other things, "that's what them thar' pre-filters are made for" - in the words of my LFS owner. Try to sneeze through a foam pre-filter, nothing get through. Now as a responsible individual, I purchased foam pre-filters and lined the whole way around of any intakes with 50 micron poly-fiber. Any questions?

To me it's not cool to go telling someone that they are going to basically doom an animal from the beginning because people dont understand that these animals have no bones at all and use water as a weight source to hold themselves down. I shouldnt have to pay for the mistakes that others made. I will keep up my flatworm population slightly for awhile - then send him to the nearest squarium.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
jonnywater said:
Well its not really complicated to keep what they eat at a minimum level for them to survive after they have depleted the excess that you are trying to get rid of.
But with this type , keeping flat worms going so it does not starve does not make any sense at all.
trying to keep what they eat at a level for them not to starve would be complicated. as you have seen they will eat and eat.

jonnywater said:
To me it's not cool to go telling someone that they are going to basically doom an animal from the beginning because people dont understand that these animals have no bones at all and use water as a weight source to hold themselves down. I shouldnt have to pay for the mistakes that others made. I will keep up my flatworm population slightly for awhile - then send him to the nearest squarium.
but it is basically dooming the animal. your/our tanks can not keep them going with out slowly starving to death.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your flatworms get to a certain level in the first place. Most likely because of excess lighting, but I would say because of excess nutrients. Now if you are feeding 4 times a week and cut back to two, it is going to start to get rid of the amount of flatworms that you have, but still keep a small population alive. True or False - keeping a small population alive is enough to keep a blue velvet nudibranch alive in a smaller tank where it is designated to one side or the other?

You cant say either, because you dont know. The answer is true. That the animal will tend to stay - along with the flatworms, where the water conditions seem the most favorable. So it IS possible to extend their lives in your aquarium for a pro-longed amount of time. PERIOD. Now just by mother nature, these things dont have a long life even in the wild.

I have seen they will eat and eat. They also sleep while the lights are off while faltworms are doing a good deal of their "procreating" and making more infestations. Thing is, that they will not create more then the tank is putting out. They know that this would lead to their extinction.

I can only suggest that people read more about animals rather then just spurt out what is on a livestock site, what someone else said or what they picked up from word of ear or along other message boards.

Try what I do. Even though i am older and get tired around 9-10 pm, I will still stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning for about 2 weeks in a row using google, online libraries, yahoo and excite........finding EVERY single bit of information that I can on an animal before purchasing it. I recommend that others do the same. For instance breeding of hermit crabs. I was looking into that when I saw on one site the extent that an individual needs to go to. For instance the DO needing to be about 30% higher in your water if you are trying to breed them. Just worthless facts, helpfull, but at the same time worthless.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick O said:
From the other thread:

You've learned a lot in less than 24 hours.:)
I said that I dont understand why THAT one was swimming around. Truth be told, after reading, their floating has nothing to do with anything. It is merely a way of adapting to the enviroment. Outside of that, I have read and studied everything about these creatures that I can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts