The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2 question post

I've bought 10 hermits in the last 2 weeks and it seems i've got a lot of evictions happening ( seems all evictees are dying) even though i got plenty of larger shells in my tank?!?!

The lfs i got them from i must admit they was in a tiny tank and stacked up, i'm starting to think that maybe there was two in the shell already battling for it?

I did think the crab was sheding it's shell first ( not sure if hermits do that?) so after i witnessed this crime i got what i thought was going to be an empty shell out of my tank to have a closer look, to my supprise there was way toooooo much meat there for it to be a skin

What do you guys think?

Also can anyone identify the type of hermit it is??

TIA

Matt

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I do not know what kind of hermit that is. I would just try to buy Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab or Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab. They both are very small and eat things you do not want. Some hermits can eat corals. Hermits do not shed shells they take shells. So one hermit might like the shell that that hermit was in and killed him for it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Ski, out of the 10 hermits i bought he was the biggest and within a day the crab was the quietest,not moving that much, then i see this being pushed out of the shell, thats what made me think it was sheding its skin

Like i said theres plenty of empty shells in my tank and i just took it that if a hermit got evicted they'd just find another home, thats not happening in my tank as i've seen a few casualties

Matt

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add to my last post i've just done a water check and here are the results:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - < 2.5
Phosphate - 0
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - normal

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Matt_b said:
Just to add to my last post i've just done a water check and here are the results:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - < 2.5
Phosphate - 0
PH - 8.2
Alkalinity - normal
whoa, what does Alk-normal mean? this could be a problem. when was the last time you did a water change? what other calcium sucking critters do you have in the system? have you checked Ca? you could be running low on Ca in the tank. this can cause problems for crustaceans when they need to grow.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
sorry, but off topic, but maybe you could help. i am trying to find acrylic sheets to play with while over here. nothing fancy just 1/4". i am in the Republic of Ireland. i can not seem to find any in places like B&Q and Woodies. is there someplace else i could look?

thanks,

G~

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like i said my tank has only been running for just over a month, all i have is 10 hermits and 10 turbo's

I firstly bought a redsea marine lab test kit that had all of the most common tests but from advice i've now started to get salifert kits, out of my test results the only redsea tests are PH,Alk and nitrate. Ammonia,nitrite and phosphate are salifert kits
Heres the chart my redsea kit uses for Alk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geoff

I have plenty of acrylic left over from my project and would be more than happy to send the rest to you, what sort of size would you need?

PM me your addy and i will send it to you if its big enough

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there is something i want you to do. check your pH just before you turn the lights off in the evening. then test your pH in the morning just before you turn on the lights. this will give us an idea on what your air exchange in the tank is like. the greater the difference the worse your air exchange is. means your CO2 levels can get pretty high at night.

G~

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My salinity is 1.026 going buy my D deltec refractometer and when i checked my lfs water it came up as1.027

I had the bag in the tank for a good 5 hrs and was dripping water every 10 mins from my syringe from a salifert kit

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Matt_b said:
My salinity is 1.026 going buy my D deltec refractometer and when i checked my lfs water it came up as1.027

I had the bag in the tank for a good 5 hrs and was dripping water every 10 mins from my syringe from a salifert kit
darn, not that then.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i need to get some sleep. :rolleyes:

one more thing. how long has the LFS had the crabs before you got them? do you think that they acclimate the crabs as well as you do? normally you see this type of dying with snails and bad acclimation techniques.

G~

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Must admit my lllfs is known for not being that great, i dont normally use them purely for there reputation, your guess is as good as mine how they acclimatise there stock??

My 10 turbo's that i bought from my preffered lfs have been as happy as larry!! no losses,doing a fine job

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
hmm, usually snails are more sensitive than hermits. how big are those hermits? i do not recognize them. not that it could be a problem, but most of the ones we normally see are bright red or blue.

i normally do not like to put the blanket, maybe you just got a bad batch, but it kinda sounds like it.

G~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts