The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all.

Everyone please go to the following link and go about 3/4 the way down the page.

http://www.walldrawn.com/fish.htm

Sam who I had helping me w/ the logo stuff for CafePress just happened to run across this.

So what does everyone think about this.

Sam does have a 3-D animation program that he can come up w/ another clownfish free of any incumbrances. His suggestion was he would come up w/ 3 or 4 different logo's/banners to use on cafePress and then we could decide. He would style them similar to what we had voted on in the contest but different enough so we don't end up in a pissing contest w/ anyone.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think everyone is missing the point of this thread.

ANother company has a copyrighted version of our logo and is actively using its own products.

Is this really his art work or ours? I don't think the question really needs answering since either way if a pissing contest was had we would not want to spend the resources to win that contest. And personally I am not fond of haveing a logo that is not exclusive to the ARC.

My suggestion would be to let Sam come up w/ something else similar and move on. That way we never have to worry about it. That is also the fastest and easist solution. Once he comes up w/ a few different versions the BOD can vote on what they like.

I would really like to hear a few opnions on this. I am going to speak w/ Sam at either the Fernbank or the Nano SIG meeting and would like to give him a direction to go with so we can get this moving.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You are correct

I was looking at the site you pointed us to as the end result of your negotiating with CafePress. It did not dawn on me that this was a site showing our logo had been cribbed. The two artworks are the same and if it is owned by another entity, we certainly should not use it.

On the linear banner, we have the clown, seahorse and coral. With "Finding Nemo" out, anything with a blue tang and clown is suspect. Sam can help if he has the time or we could hold another "original art" only contest for the logo. I recall either Sally or Lori was able to draw very nice reward posters for your crab.

A definite bummer, I know you were in a hurry to resolve the merchandise store.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Lori was the crab artist - she's not been seen since April ... by anyone in our circle of friends.... :eek:

Bummer because when we had the original logo contest, I asked Mark Barnett to sign off on "his" copyright to the original design - which he did. He never mentioned that the art was not his (I don't know if it was or was not, but clearly that's a mute point now...)

You could throw it out to the club again for a new logo contest -- "original art only"...

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to put up a quick poll in the BOD2 forum to see if we want a new contest or to let Sam come up w/ a few designs that the BOD votes on.

If the contest is voted on I will gather together all the requirements for the art work and post an announcement for the contest.

If we vote to let Sam produce a few images that the BOD votes on then I'll get him working on that right away.

·
5,916 Posts
I'm out of the loop but who is Sam? Sam Alatar?

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope his name is Sam Pol

He joined up w/ the Nano SIG people. SOme of those have not officially joined ARC yet but I know they are planning on it.

When I asked for volunteers he chimmed in and seemed to be the most qualified for what I needed to get CafePress up and running. I have spoke w/ him numerious times over the phone and since everything he does either goes through me or the entire BOD it didn't seem to matter (to me anyway) who I had helping w/ the graphics.

Sort of glad it was him cause he's the one who stumbled across our logo on the web.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Uh, guys, why don't we just let sleeping dogs lie and deal with it if/when somebody complains about copyrights... Why stir things up?

And if we're really dedicated to solving this, why don't we just find out who really owns the art and pay for it? Single images like this one generally aren't at all expensive.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The solution is allready in the works.

The BOD will let everyone know something after the final decision.

Charles

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think you've jumped the gun on this one. We don't even know if there's a reason to come up with a new logo yet.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Rob has a good point. If we like the current design then why not contact the owner and ask permission to use the picture. The worst that can happen is he could say no or offer it to us at a price higher than we're able to pay. We're no worse off going that route.

·
Registered
422 Posts
For that matter, we don't even know if the site with the picture is really the owner of it. He could have found it womewhere and used it just like we did. Or maybe the pic's already in the public domain. Anyway, we need more info before decisions are made about what action, if any, to take.

·
5,916 Posts
My suggestion is to contact Mark Barnett, the "originator" of the ARC Logo. When his submission won the contest, we asked him for a waiver of HIS copyright, which he gave (online, via email I think... not sure where it is at this minute). I thought the original work was his. At least if Mark lets us know if the art is his, or if he "borrowed" it (or perhaps HE got permission from the artist, who knows?) then we can make a more informed decision about how to proceed.

If the artist turns out to be somebody else (ie that website), and is agreeable to let us use the work - after all, we can explain how we came to "have it"... perhaps he will understand and allow it, and in return some sort of link to his site or whatever might be a fair trade?

Worst case scenario, we do not agree on terms of use of that image, and we just go back to the drawing board.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone please note: The other problem is we don't have an original art work file. You can not just add pixels. The images (both logo and banner) would need to be reworked a bit anyway to get them into a size format that will work correctly for makeing products.

Don't know the solution.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Charles, tell me what sizes, resolutions, and file formats you need and I'll see about getting it done.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rob that was a really nice offer but we allready have somebody helping out on this project.

I am trying not to put to many items on any one persons plate.

And with the website you have probably the biggest plate around.

I wonder --- If you die w/ the biggest plate do you win ??:funny:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts