The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - with the lights out the water looks perfectly clear now and I can finally see how my rocks are arranged....when the lights are on I can still see particles flying around - which I think may be air bubbles gettting sucked into the return. I have to check the plumbing.....more pics next week when the stuff from the nano gets merged......

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
WOW! Sure has cleared up alot hasn't it? Like the little valley leading under the overhang! Got a similar set up like that!:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Here's a pic of my valley going under a ledge! Aquascaping sure is fun isn't it?:D It's a little dark under the overhang but you get the idea!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only thing that worries me is that it looks like you have a lot of sand to live rock contact.

You may want to use egg crate "towers" to keep most of the live rock from touching the sand bed.

egg crate tower is just a box made of egg crate that supports the live rock above the sand bed. Doesn't have to be to high above the bed just enough to allow water to flow between the lr and sand bed.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i've read that rock/sand contact is good.. because it creates more anaerobic areas, which is the same as the very bottom layer of sand. so there is even more area for the nitrate eating bacteria..

true? or was this incorrect information?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey hey jay, I've been looking for a decent job and basicly letting the ocean stew of a tank cook for awhile, good news is that using the drip method to acclimate snails has resulted in 0 snail casualities to date... hehe which leaves me with 3 margarita snails, 2 turbo snails, 2 astrea snails and 6 bumble bee snails..... too many snails, the glass is perfectly clean and I think I'm gonna loose a couple to starvation DOH. My tiger watchman gobie had a stroke or something, a red vein became apparent just behind his one eye and he quit eating and the next day he had extreme difficulty breathing, did a water change and lowered salinity to increase oxygen in the water but all for naught, after seeing him out of the tank I think his death is partially due to lack of feeding, guess 1/4 of a cube of mysid every other day wasn't enough, live and learn. Once I finally get my frigging lights and my hood I'll be noisey again, just right now I'm letting everything age a bit and trying to figure out how to set up a refugium high enough I can use gravity to drain it back into the tank. So yuppers I'm still kicking, just been busy and broke =P

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
Ylmaya its really looking good :)
I will try to get to post office tues :D
Hey Grazzit, a busy . broke , Bengal Bunny is better than none, good to see ya back :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
To much LR to Sand contact will create detruis traps that your scavs. and other critters wont reach in the cleanup process. Eventually it breaks down and becomes a garbage dump for whatever horrid outbreak to happen.

Anerobic areas are created by the lack of oxygen beneath the sand. Placing rock ontop of the sand doesn't make it any deeper than if the rock wasnt there, therefore the surface area hasnt increased and there is no more amount of room than before :)

With my first setup I had about 100 pounds pushed roughly into my sand. After the crash last year, and some clean out, lifting up the rocks releasing all the build up under and ontop of the sand turned it a muck brown.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.