The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
:idea:If you are talking about the same species then it is fish no matter how many there are. If you are talking about diffrent species even if it is only two then it is fishes.

Well, that is what the lady at the Atlanta Aquarium said.:read:

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
yep!

i.e.

I have 10 clowns in my tank. Those are all my fish
or
In my tank there is a clown, an angel, a tang, and 2 chromis. Those are all my fishes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought many would be called a school! Just kidding!

·
11,345 Posts
not to be boring but the word "fish" can be used either way depending on the rest of the sentence in which the word is being used....

i.e. that fish, those fish

your fish is a jerk..........your fish are jerks

ill spare everyone from a few thousand more examples:)

fishes is plural

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Either one is correct according to where you went to school at.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Casey said:
Either one is correct according to where you went to school at.
Nah.

Fish is correct referring to any collection of more than one fish. It can be one species or not.

Fishes is correct when referring to more than one species.

But fishes is not correct when referring to more than one of the same species.

It is the same as people/peoples.

People refers to more than one person.

Peoples refers to more than one type of person (race, religion, nationality, whatever context you are talking about.)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
I spend the day getting punked by a nasty spreadsheet that gave me fits to write and have to come home and figure this out. My head hurts. :freak:

Gonna go back to that sewer snake thread in GRD and relax a little. :beer:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
drsyme said:
Nah.

Fish is correct referring to any collection of more than one fish. It can be one species or not.

Fishes is correct when referring to more than one species.

But fishes is not correct when referring to more than one of the same species.

It is the same as people/peoples.

People refers to more than one person.

Peoples refers to more than one type of person (race, religion, nationality, whatever context you are talking about.)
wrong I had my daughter ask the teacher so my anwser is right:p

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
She even said not all schools teach it the same way:eek: What ta heck does that mean?

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok then

i think i got it:confused: just kidding i got it thanks yall, thought it would be fun to read the replies on this one and it was.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Does it really make a darn they are both plural in the dictionary so who cares not me:lol:

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Fine...then explain why a shrimp can be singular and shrimps are what Emeril calls a bunch of them even if they are all the same kind.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Have you every read that Emeril has cooked up a mess of fishes? Hmmmmm maybe I will rethink my earler statement. :read: :angry: :freak: :funny: :idea: :banana:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Fly Guy said:
your fish is a jerk..........your fish are jerks

ill spare everyone from a few thousand more examples:)

fishes is plural
You just used "Fish" as a plural though, when you said "your fish are jerks", lol. hmmmmmmm. If you always call them "fish" and never "fishes", then you can never call them "fishies". I happen to like to call mine "fishies", so I will stick with that.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
And emeril probably isnt an english major, lol. People always use words incorrectly. Why arent they called "Crabs cakes" then? Im sure you use more than one crab to make it lol. Or "crabs salad", because surely one crab cant make one salad ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts