The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting some pics of my new crocea. It is 3.5 inches long, and is showing lots of new growth around the edges. Here are two pictures of it under the actinics.

I have it resting on a small piece of live rock that has an indention that the clam sits right down in. It is sitting in the corner of the tank, off center of the halide. It is about 25" from the halide to the clam, and I plan on moving it higher in a week.

Any thoughts or critique are welcome,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
WestPat, nice crocea. I noticed in the last pic that there is a piece of the rock that might irritate the byssal opening. Be sure that if that is close to the clams byssal opening that maybe you can break it off or if I'm just plain not seeing it correctly that you never mind. LOL... It just looks like it might irritate the gland.

Where did you get this nice crocea???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the live rock has a crater in it and the clam fits down in it nicely, I made sure it would "cup" the shell before I left it in there.
From what I can tell it is attaching without a hitch. Hey I think I made a joke?

By Thursday it will have been in two weeks and I plan on moving it up in the tank so it will be about 10 inches from the halide instead of 24. Do you see any problems with that?

Thanks for the concern,
David

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the sickness.

Also, I am getting another crocea from Blane at thesea.org. Actually there was a mixup in the order so I am getting my original clam. If it is as healthy as this one then I will be in good shape. Anyway, I do not have another piece of rock so well suited for one to attach. I was hoping that you could give me some ideas. I do have a couple of large seashell halves that my wife and I collected. I have heard people talk about this and I wonder if one of these may be suitable?

Thanks Sue,
David

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Siphon too wide?

Here is a good top view of the clam. Does it look healthy? Is the siphon open too wide? It is cool because the clam even fluoresces down inside. I just could not get a good view!

tHANKS FOR THE INPUT,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been honored by the mighty Casey! I should probably quit now!

Casey, if you are out there where in the panhadle do you live.
Going to visit the folks near Pensacola next week and I would beg for a visit if you are close by!

Thanks, I feel a little more confident,
David

·
Registered
126 Posts
David, I keep all my clams sitting in half clam shells. That way they are more than ok to attach and if you ever need to move them there is not a problem. It is very easy to make it look natural enough by rock rubble.

From the angle it is hard to tell if the incurrent syphon is gapping a bit. With the mantle expansion I wouldn't worry for now. Feed it some DT's and let er rip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.