The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Wanderer
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*orning everyone. Off the goofy 5 am starts now. Everything is fixed and going tapocketa tapocketa.

Wore nice clothes, so need to try and stay clean at work today. Got some archaic machine to dig into, but all electrical stuff.

Little rain, then a bunch of dry 80's weather. Glad I fixed the sprinkler piping.

Coffee is on. Have a good start to the week.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,913 Posts
Good morning Perry and all,

drinking coffee , sitting outside in patio. The form is set for concrete pad for the new generator. Have the new auto transfer case and all the wiring along with the concrete. Going to be nice , no more manual switching. I also think I’m going to order another propane tank. Increase capacity.
We are in heatwave, hot .
Audio equipment Font Slope Multimedia Electronic device

·
Administrator
19,301 Posts
Good morning Gents, and All pulling up a chair with Us at the TRT Training/Breakfast Table......HAPPY MONDAY! Take THAT onday.....NO () needed!

Our weather patterns seem similar Perry......70-80's, and a 45F start this morning. Vinnie....HECK NO! Would do it.....but wouldn't like it......TOO HOT!

Nice that you're getting the ducks in a row Vinnie......seldom do emergencies wait on us. (y) :eek:

Off today to take our Son to a Dr's appointment......a good excuse for a 2 day weekend. PLAN A/1 will be to begin buying/building our new 'canopy'.......begin the hole digging and post setting.

Hope something swell walks hand n hand with Y'All.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,913 Posts
Good morning Hack,

it’s really nice getting a new generator. And it’s a Kohler at that. Normally this is a 11 grand to install and when said and done I will be into it under 2. I will sell or give away the 17 k unit that they gave me three year’s ago. In the south it’s can be rough come end of July and August. Average power lost during a storm here is a week.

·
Administrator
19,301 Posts
THAT'S a tough call there Vinnie to wether smack that post with a 'like or an oh my gosh'.....like the gen. part but an oh gosh for the outages.......sorry.......so going with a thumbs up.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,423 Posts
Morning Perry, Hack & Vinnie - and all else who wander in. Nice here today but hot the next two. Not Vinnie type hot but up around 90F is hot here.

Kohler makes a great small engine, it should be bullet proof for that purpose. Is the unit set to do regular monthly runs? Typically with our large generators here we run them for an hour a month just to keep the fluids moving through it and identify any issues. Good thing too, We did it one month and it didn't start - good thing it was just a test run & not the real thing!

I like working on the ancient stuff Perry, the older the better. I'd rather pull and rebuild a 100 year old OS&Y gate valve than fool with replacing a ball valve every couple years. Electrical is another thing all together though.

·
Administrator
19,301 Posts
Top of the morning Rick! Hot here is when it gets into the 90's.....EXTREM when it hit the century mark or above. But we also get the 3-H phenomenon round here at the shore.....HAZY-HOT-HUMID.....takes 3 days of a heat wave to trigger it, but the air turns 'hazy' from all the moisture from the Atlantic......dead calm, and 'stale'. It's a show stopper.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,301 Posts
I like working on the ancient stuff Perry, the older the better. I'd rather pull and rebuild a 100 year old OS&Y gate valve than fool with replacing a ball valve every couple years. Electrical is another thing all together though.
TOUGH CALL for me Bro.....

Around the 'marine environment' age doesn't translate well. 'gate valves' have become illegal on boats, they require ball valves to make the USCG happy.......need to know at a glance wether a valve is open or closed.
Nuts/bolts/screws.....WIRING all feel the effect of salt water, either in the liquid or gaseous state.....heck, add the solid state to that as well. At 10 years if not covered constantly in 'love', it's a rocky road from there.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,205 Posts
Good mawnin’, Perry, Vinnie, Hack, Rick, and all of TRT!

Thanks for the coffee, Perry! I don’t think I see eat on the table yet, so here we go. Talk to English muffins with a Friday egg, potatoes O’Brien, and a fresh fruit cup with the last of the strawberries, early peaches, and red grapes.

Vinnie - That generator will be just what you need for this upcoming hurricane season! Or any time, for that matter. OMG your temps for this week are murder!

THAT'S a tough call there Vinnie to wether smack that post with a 'like or an oh my gosh'.....like the gen. part but an oh gosh for the outages.......sorry.......so going with a thumbs up.
Hack
I hear ya, Hack. Some posts require a sad and giggle and wow.

Doug - you’re a GF previous abode needs to be banned after sh leaves! I didn’t remember you mentioning black mold before yesterday. 😱 That’s a serious health issue that needs to be corrected or not be listed as available!

I better get a move on. Got to clean up Sophie‘s boxes and sit out the trash before 9:00!

Lots of love and hugs and peace to everyone!

·
Administrator
48,733 Posts
Good Morning all, nice morning heading to 77 or so, not bad. Vinny those temps with humidity can be a killer. Fairly dry humidity wise here but up around Portland it is really humid with all the big rivers there. When temps climb over 90F people wind up in hospital with heat issues :(
Cath I think the landlady is going to sell it the property but the trailer has to go. It is old and not worth dealing with but she is in NY so has to get an agent out here to handle it. I bet their are tweeker squatters camped out before a week has past once she leaves.
Be careful in the heat and have a good day all

·
Retired Wanderer
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TOUGH CALL for me Bro.....

Around the 'marine environment' age doesn't translate well. 'gate valves' have become illegal on boats, they require ball valves to make the USCG happy.......need to know at a glance wether a valve is open or closed.
Nuts/bolts/screws.....WIRING all feel the effect of salt water, either in the liquid or gaseous state.....heck, add the solid state to that as well. At 10 years if not covered constantly in 'love', it's a rocky road from there.
Hack

We have aluminum anodizing and a bunch of proprietary processes that are hard on even "corrosion resistant" metals at work. It is always a battle to keep things intact.

I have some obsolete control systems to update to modern systems. It is kind of fun, but there is a lot to it and 3D modeling that are being learned OJT.

Onward, through the day.

Reactions: cath and hackshobby

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Morning all,

Decided today was gonna be basement effort duty., a lil laundry with sorting/going thru other stuff down here , with organize/relocate/pitch being the categories.
A large part of the day’s chore list is that the temps will be ramping up today,,. Think they still claim it’ll be 99 on weds .

Follow up /stitch removal doc appt on weds,,, and made appt. a hr plus into Illinois to get Molly and the conure’s wings and nails trimmed. Sis’s female Eclectus parrot coming along for a beak trim.
Will also see what I need for parrot grub etc. while I’m waiting on the fid’s spa day. And while I will drool n wish while I check out the umpteen birds/parrots at the place, I am 99.999998% certain I won’t be coming back with a new one.( it’s my nature to never rule out anything , hence the teeny percentage of “mebbe” , haha).

Break over , back to “work”,

Hope everyone is having a great day 👍🏼

• Haha
Reactions: cath and hackshobby

·
Administrator
19,301 Posts
Got a wild fire going since last night round here......2 rivers up from us.....about 15/20 miles. 7,200 acres at this point, but had 2 days of high winds, and NO MOISTURE......this'll be a while. Got the smoke and ash coating everything round here.....almost a 'fog bank', but the smoke is almost choking.

It's in Wharton State Forest for those that are familiar with this are.

Hack

·
Retired Wanderer
17,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not familiar with that area but fires are horrible. California and Colorado expect them, but I can’t see one in the Ohio Valley. We are dried out though and another week ahead with no rain. Glad we have sprinklers.

·
Super Moderator
28,205 Posts
Got a wild fire going since last night round here......2 rivers up from us.....about 15/20 miles. 7,200 acres at this point, but had 2 days of high winds, and NO MOISTURE......this'll be a while. Got the smoke and ash coating everything round here.....almost a 'fog bank', but the smoke is almost choking.

It's in Wharton State Forest for those that are familiar with this area.

Hack
Not familiar with that State Forest, but I’ll look it up.

Rick - send some of those Niagara Falls water down to Hack!

Vinnie - that’s some scary news about golf waters. That’s exactly where are storms in this area originate. Coastal storms originate out of the Atlantic.

·
Administrator
19,301 Posts
My excuse for a day off......I mean Hack's Dr's visit went exceedingly well.....glowing report from His cardiologist. To celebrate we hit a burger joint on the way home. ;)

Our forest fires round here are nothing compared to out West.......but has surpassed 11,000acres, and is being called the worst in 15 years round here......I recall THAT ONE as well......turning back the clocks even further, perhaps back in the early 80's my Brother and I were battling a fire there as well back in my Forest fire service days. Just the nature of the area, campers, lots of fuel, and nice hot weather. They are listing this one as 'man made'.

What are Ya, mind readers? Of course I have a Monster B+W malt going down.:unsure:😁
Peace,
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,205 Posts
Hack - Glad to hear that Nate’s doc appointment went well! I’m sure that’s a big relief for all of you.

Man-made fire!? What a low-life for doing that! What is a likelihood for being able to catch the person who did that? 😤

For my dessert tonight I had the last of the local fresh strawberries and a broken up peanut butter Kind bar with a splash of milk.

Sending our groovy and happy thoughts to everyone tonight, especially if you have to go to work tomorrow. Then there are those people who are retired and they work hard too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts