The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some somewhat worthless ideas that I dont have time to play around with so I will pass them along and someone else can make the money.

Idea one. Sprinkler heads. Odd enough as it sounds, the "rotor" kind that have the ability to from 40-120 degrees in direction. Most of you that own houses know what I am talking about. Find a way to rig one of those into an almost 1500 GPH pump and drill about a 3/4 inch hole in the end. Stick a piece of PCV piping in there that is the length of your tank and set it to rotate 90 degrees. Then drill a hole and place a spray nozzle about every 2 inches. That way it rotates up, stirs up the top of your water and then rotates back down and sprays the front of your live rock so it goes all the way to the back. The whole time being tucked away under the upper front lip of your tank so no one can see it and you dont have to worry about disturbing things like clams in the front of your tank.

Idea two. For people who use plenums. Water movement has always been a problem with plenums. Line all four sides of a plenum with magnetic strip. That way as in real life, the magnets are all pushing against eachother and creating constant motion underneath of your sand bed.

Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
jonnywater said:
Idea two. For people who use plenums. Water movement has always been a problem with plenums. Line all four sides of a plenum with magnetic strip. That way as in real life, the magnets are all pushing against eachother and creating constant motion underneath of your sand bed.
I don't know about the first one but the magnets . I don't think that will do any thing.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Magnets would line the inside lip of the plenum. The whole way around. Now magnets with reversed polarity, will push against eachother. Ever try to flip a mag float around and try to push the two sides together? They push against eachothers. Most people have done that at some point in their life. So the magnets are going to be pushing against eachother, while pushing the whatever is in front of them in the process, in this case - water.

Tang Lover
jonnywater said:
while pushing the whatever is in front of them in the process, in this case - water.
hmmm. I'm announcing up front, my ignorance of magnet physics...but that said, I think the problem with your theory is this part.

Magnets only react to other magnets and to metals.

If you put your hand in the middle of two magnets pushing on each other...your HAND doesn't feel anything.

I believe the magnets would push against each other...but I don't think anything inbetween would get pushed at all.

Again...I know very little of magnetic phsyics...so forgive me if I'm wrong.

The Bitter Mod
It would have to a changing magnet field. Two constant opposing magnetic forces would just be static. The Russian sub in The Hunt for Red October worked on the same principal. With that being said they would have to be extremely powerful magnets rendering them completely unrealistic to use in an aquarium.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it wouldnt. Go buy two of those 4 cent donut shaped magnets from your local arts and crafts store. Hold them so that they are trying to push against eachother, and then next time you have a barbeque, hold them exactly the same about 2 FEET APART in the smoke. The will still push against the smoke even at that distance. It can be 4 perfectly stationary magnets and it will still push the water around. Body mass and water mass are two HIGHLY different substances. With water being closer to smoke. One a solid and the other not.

Registered
Of course, if you used the magnets, wouldn't they play havoc with the powerheads, especially the one like the Maxi-jets that use magnets?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts