The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
One Happy Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

I saw a two inch beautiful black and white Henniochus Acuminatus Butterfly at my LFS this noon. I have mostly mushrooms, xenias and some montiporas.

Is it safe for this fish in my reef?

I watched him clean a Power Blue Tang while I was there. Beautiful little fish.

Homer

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Can't answer about reef-compatibilty, but what size tank do you have? The 2 inchers are just babies. My LFS had some that were approximately 6 inches and were labeled "Medium".

Jodi

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Be sure that the species is identified correctly. H. acuminatus is not reef safe and can be distinguished from H. diphreutes, which IS reef safe, by a black edging on the white stripe between the ventral fins and the caudal fin. Tom Wyatt has a H. diphruetes and I believe it behaves in his reef - but he and I had a big discussion about the physical differences between the species and he even sent me a data sheet on the H. diphuerets.

Definitely stay away from H. acuminatus in a reef.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I cant think of any butterfly fish that are reefsafe except for maybe the Copperbanded.

·
5,916 Posts
Copperbands are hit and miss too. Klein's butterfly is a nominal risk too.

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Hold out for some H. dipheuretes - they are *almost* identical but will behave in a reef.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i was just talking with mojo about this tonight. he has 7 of the H. dipheuretes. i also thought they were all bad news, but he said JennM turned him on to them. they make great schooling fish. 90 may be a little small, but it would be close.

what about pyramid butterflies? are these the same as Klein's?

G~

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
JennM said:
Hold out for some H. dipheuretes - they are *almost* identical but will behave in a reef.
The black edging on the H. acuminatus anal fin is absent on the H. dipheuretes, a few other small differences (like the number of rays in the dorsal fin, etc. ) but the main difference is the schooling bannerfish (H. dipheuretes) is a plantkon feeder, and will pick the zooplankton from the water column with relish (and is much easier to get to eat) wheras the H. acuminatus is a polyp feeder, and although itwill eat flake, zooplankton, etc, it will also consume polyps whenever given the opportunity , or when other food stuffs are not plentiful. IME the larger the H. acuminatus specimen is when brought in from the wild, the more likely it is to consume polyps. Wait for the H. dipheuretes, I have seen what the H. acuminatus will do to polyps...

H. dipheuretes are quite the beautiful fish, and very personable. Mine will take zooplankton out of my hand, with the "banner" dorsal fin breaking the surface of the water (Mel thinks it is related to the shark-attack-behavior of the fish when feeding the thawed zooplankton :D )

see Schooling bannerfish species summary

and

Pennant coralfish species summary

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Jenn my copperband must be a "hit" as it has not bothered anything in my tank and feeds well on mysis shrimp and my home made "mush"!:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my case NO, I have a 75, my Henniochus ate any buttons/yellow polyps I had. I had him for 3 yrs in a fish only converted that tank to reef and he had a field day. Broke my heart to get rid of him, but now all my stumps, I mean polyps have come back and have bigger heads then quarters,,,,,DONT DO It!!!!! IMO

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
Can someone find and post pics showing the subtle differences, I would like them for clarification before I archive thread, thanx

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I also would like to see pics of the difference in these fish as I plan to have a pair in my new tank set-up!:D

·
Registered
822 Posts
ditto on the pics...

I'm still trying to get a handle on the differences. I've read somethings that talk about the middle black band ending at the anal fin, but I guess I need a course in Fish ID 101, 'cause still not sure which the anal fin is, and some pictures that I've seen of each look the same to me. And when I've seen them in the LFSs, they're often identified only as Heniochus, and when I've asked most don't know which it is.

·
5,916 Posts
Wish they would stand still for photos - right now I've got both kinds. The good ones are out of Hawaii, and the others are out of the Philippines. September the good ones should be in abundant supply again - my supplier found me a couple early in the summer (I think Tom still has one of those) and he told me that I would not likely get any more until autumn, although he sent me 3 of them this past week (small ones).

The differences are very subtle - to the point where my husband and I don't always agree on which ones we got *g* he thinks the non-reef-safe set I've had for a while are really reef safe (but he's not willing to drop them in the reef system to find out ;)

I think knowing where they came from is an asset in determining which species is which, because sometimes, especially in the juvenile ones, it's extremely hard to tell them apart.

Jenn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts