The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bawling: My nitrite are 0 my ammonia is 0 my pH is normal---but my nitrate is scary high! What to do!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have an emporer 400 with boi wheels... i heard that they can drive nitrates up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm embarassed to say, but about 40ppm. yes i have a modified seaclone 100 skimmer.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
While not ideal by any means nitrates at 40 shouldn't kill anything(maybe sps). Cut back on feeding, lose the biowheel, and do several water changes. You also might want to invest in a better skimmer.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
theplatypus said:
While not ideal by any means nitrates at 40 shouldn't kill anything(maybe sps). Cut back on feeding, lose the biowheel, and do several water changes. You also might want to invest in a better skimmer.
Ditto!

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
theplatypus said:

double ditto

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Zacho said:
Do the bio wheels really make it that bad?
yeah. Problem with bio-wheels, and bio-balls is that they provide a SUPER ideal living environment for the bacteria that produces nitrates (highly oxygenated surface area). They are good for FO tanks, cause those bacteria at elevated populations do wonders on the consuming wastes. But as a byproduct, they also produce a lot of nitrates. For a FO tank, this is fine. But for corals, it's less than ideal.

Really hard concept to grasp and believe in early on in the hobby, but the ONLY filtration you need in a reef tank is sufficient LR, and a good skimmer. honestly.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
skeety said:
yeah. Problem with bio-wheels, and bio-balls is that they provide a SUPER ideal living environment for the bacteria that produces nitrates (highly oxygenated surface area). They are good for FO tanks, cause those bacteria at elevated populations do wonders on the consuming wastes. But as a byproduct, they also produce a lot of nitrates. For a FO tank, this is fine. But for corals, it's less than ideal.

Really hard concept to grasp and believe in early on in the hobby, but the ONLY filtration you need in a reef tank is sufficient LR, and a good skimmer. honestly.
ditto

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
I had the same problem until I took out the Bio Balls. I couldn't get mine below 40.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Not to play the devils advocate but before you get rid of the bio wheel what else is in the tank how much live rock if any? and what else is it a reef and what size? maybe I missed all that. but you have to have some kind of filter mechanism whether it's live rock live deep sand bed, bio balls, bio wheel while the first two will make nitrates undetectalble and the later are breeding gounds for nitrates you have to have a system in place for the cycle to occure and by removing the wheel with out something in place you will get traces of amonia and nitrite lets hear what else is going on.

Fred

·
Registered
363 Posts
Zacho said:
Do the bio wheels really make it that bad?
Bio wheels can cause problems, especially if you lose power of any length of time, and water stops flowing over them, it will cause a bacteria die off that can cause levels to spike. This, combined with a bad skimmer is what killed my first tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts