The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We worked on my CLS this past weekend with countless times to Lowe's. Okay I'd have been lost without my hubby's help I was just his assistant. We have run into some problems. It still isn't working. We had to go with 1" pvc since the pump is a Mag 2400 with 1" output and inlet. We thought it was really going to blast water out. We were wrong. We put 1" tees with 1/2 outlets on them. We have good flow out of some of the holes but not all. Help us figure what to do. The pump is also LOUD. I don't know if we just didn't run it long enough to let it get all the air out of the system and totally prime itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can see on the pump some pictures show extra parts we had to put the piece on so we could prime the pump. We also shortened the input, but don't have a pic of the new length. Now it is just about8 " long.
If you have any ideas on how to get it to work better plleeeaaassseeeee let us know. My hubby worked so long on it and then didn't get the results we expected we have just left it alone, but he said to get some ideas from my buddies and we'd try again tonight. So Help Me please.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,044 Posts
You are lifting the water. That will make it noisy You need to make a bracket for the pumps inlet to be below the water level and you will have better flow and the pump won't have to pull so hard
JMO

·
Super Moderator
26,044 Posts
That pump is not disigned to lift the water up , It is not a self priming pump. geoff hads built them that hang on the back and Maybe he will chime in, I do think he places his to sit right at the water level

·
Registered
66 Posts
how many holes outputs do you have? remember that everytime you have 90 angle, it reduces the output as well as input, also the more holes you have for output, the less of water force, as well as the distance, the further away the holes, the less water pressure. Just my thought.
it is nice set up, but why dont you try to reduce the # of output (# holes).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have 8 outlets. My hubby wants to reduce the size of the holes to see if it would give it more force. We put the pvc on top of the output to pour water in to prime the pump. Before that it made a whole lot of noise. We had a dark tank all day. I'm sure the fish were wigging out.

·
Super Moderator
26,044 Posts
I will say that It don't seem to be alot of flow , When You have all the pipes and the elbows and Tee's like Kevinng was saying. I notice on my CLS I was expecting it to really flow like mad and do have good flow just not wahtI expected.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
you should be getting some good flow out of a Mag 24 and those 8 outlets. i am betting you are not priming it properly. i also suggest going up to a 1.25" or 1.5" inlet tube. this will really help the pump get the water in the first place.

how have you been priming the pump? you need to close off all outlet and inlet holes in order to prime it the first time. since the outlet bar is so high up, you will need to do this everytime after a water change. i had to do this also after every water change when i had my suspended CLS. i had plugs for all of the outlets and a plug for the inlet. i would then fill up the CLS using the "fill" tee i had. it looks like you have one on the inlet. this is fine. when this was full i capped the "fill" tee. i would then remove the plug on the inlet. turn the pump on, than start removing the outlet plugs.

HTH,

G~

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much we just pour water down the inlet in the pic below, and then put the cap on and started the pump. We don't have caps for all the outlets, but will get some if we need to. Are you saying to put water in the other capped tubing? We thought there was still some air in the tubing since some of it is above water level. What do you think we need to do about the pump and it's placement?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i think everything is fine. you just need to make sure you prime the entire CLS before you start it up. if it is not fully primed than it will not be able to pull enough water up since it is above the water line. i do suggest getting plugs for all inlets and outlets, than give it a try.

have you put a mousepad under the pump? that should help quiet it down a bit also.

G~

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
IME I had to scratch using the mag 24 for a CLS b/c they were waaayyyy too noisy. Keep in mind that they are really meant for pond applications where noise isn't AS much of a concern. If you can I would return the pump for a more quiet one. just my 2 bits though

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really can't return the pump. I haven't put a mouse pad under the pump. We put some velcro pads under it on all four corners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts