The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Regal (Hippo) Tang that had been sick with Ich. I removed it from my main tank and put in a 20 gallon qt tank. I treated it with a copper based medication and that got rid of the Ich, but while it was in qt I started to notice it was developing HLLE. I've been feeding it Formula Two flakes and Sea Veggies as well as using "Fish Solution" from EcoSystem Aquarium. And it was eating very well.

But for the past three days or so it has completely stopped eating anything. It almost seems as though it doesn't even know that there is food in the water. It still comes to the front of the tank when I come to the tank as it did before and it seems to get excited to eat but can't seem to "find" the food even though it's right in front of it.

Any one have any ideas of what might been the problem?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
As far as I know there are no definitive answers as to what causes HLLE. Just try to keep the water quality up, feed him vitamin enriched foods and hope for the best. Soaking his food in Selcon may help. Someone with far more knowledge than I should chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
There are many "theories" as to why this disease occurs, but there seems to be no single definitive answer that can be pinpointed or solely connected to it. Many of the contributing theories include stray voltage in the aquarium, poor water quality and environmental conditions, high nitrate levels, lack of vitamins and poor nutrition, stress, parasitic infestation (a protozoan, Octomita necatrix), using carbon, and that some fish may just be genetically pre-disposed to this disease condition.
This disease stems from the lateral line that fish have, thus appropriately named Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). It is also referred to as Lateral Line Erosion (LLE), Lateral Line Disease (LLD) and Hole-In-The-Head Disease. It appears as open pitted wounds around a fishes head and along the lateral line, as if something is slowly eroding away the flesh. HLLE disease in the short run is not fatal, but over the long run if the disease continues to progress the fish stops eating and becomes lethargic. The open wounds make the fish susceptible to other infections which in turn leads to the further deterioration of its health, and these secondary infections are what may eventually lead to its demise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the tank has been setup for some time now, about 6 months. The HLLE appeared to be getting better but it's still not eating anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts