The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to get my brown algae under control and now the green is popping up. I set up my tank about 2 months ago and just have live rock with three fish right now. What is a good way to aleviate my problems completely???? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The green algae is a natural part of the maturing of the tank. The best way to keep it under control is through controling nutrients in the system by using RO water, skimming, and feeding lightly. Adding a clean-up crew wouldnt hurt either. Tell us a little more about your set-up... size, equipment, maintenance schedule, inhabitants, lights, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tank setup

I have a 50 gallon tank with a hang on skimmer, a magnum filter, and 2 power heads. I add about 5% new water each week or every other and I have been using distilled water for my water changes.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
dont use distilled water. use ro water. i assume you are buying distilled at the grocery store? if so, they should also sell ro water, buy that.

how often are you feeding your fish, and how much?

what type of lights do you have, and what's your light schedule?

the green alagae is feeding on the brown algae and nutrients in the water. it's part of the process. it'll all work out. as soon as i reduced by feeding and light schedule, my algae started coming under control.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Also if that magnum filter is a canister filter you need to make sure you clean the pad once a week. I had a canister filter that I was only cleaning on a monthly basis and it caused more problems then it was worth. If you just bought the thing I would take it back. You would be better off adding a whisper filter and buying the replacement sleeves, they are cheap and you can change it easy without turning it off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I had a HOT Magnum canister filter on my old reef. I used this to only run phosgard or some other phosphate depleting media. I occasionally ran a low-phosphate reef carbon to help keep the water clear. I just dumped it inside the chamber in the canister and let it run for a week or two at a time. Before I did this diatoms and green slime algae were out of control. This seemed to work for me. I never had this problem again. I was also using mostly RO/DI water to top off. I am sure this had the most effect in maintaining the algae growth, but I was able to control it by running phosgard in my canister. I am actually looking for a used HOT canister now to use on my reef.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions and I will do what you all said. I also am feeding about twice a day.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yikes. i'd cut way back on feeding. unless of course you have stuff that requires twice daily feedings. i was feeding once a day and was told that was too much. i am now feeding once every third day. my fish arent getting any skinnier, and they seem jsut as happy. actually they graze a lot more on the algae/rocks and poop a lot more :)

the only thing i still feed daily is my green brittle star, so he doesnt decide to snack on a fish at night. but i spot feed him, a shrimp pellet, right into his arms, so the food doesnt get into the water column.

every third day i feed the fish blender mush, and give some to the star as well, so he gets a variety of nutrients.

cutting way back on your feeding to once every two days, or even once evry three days will significantly reduce the algae in your tank, since you'll be reducing nutrient introduction that the algae is feeding on.

hth - jay

·
Registered
790 Posts
Try doing a larger water change...I do about a 25% water change every 2 weeks...But I am going to start using RO water and see what changes happen...hopefuly for the better.

-Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll cut back on the feeding and see if that does the trick. Thanks for the advice. Oh yeah and I do regular water changes every month of about 15 to 20 percent or more.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would do them every 2 weeks. Not once a month...thats my suggestion....and my $0.02...good luck and keep us updated...

-Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts