The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help-i bought a longnose butterflyfish about 5 days ago, @ the lfs. they said he was eating well-to feed him bloodworms, so i have been. He nibbles @ them, but he keeps sticking his nose out of the water, looking for food-perhaps? I also feed spirulina flake food, brine shrimp, @ a frozen mixture.does anyone have any sugg? i dont want him to go w/out eating

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I would try buying some frozen mysis shrimp as my copperband butterfly loves those and also I have gotten my copperband to eat my "home made" mush which consists of raw shrimp, scallops, clams, different types of raw fish, krill, etc, etc,. I grind it all up in the blender and add salt water to it and spread it out in a freezer bag and feed the whole tank this and the copperband eats it as well. In the grocery store where I am at they have a bowl of bits and pieces sea food which they call a "medley" and it's $2.99 a lb and I buy this when I see it!;)

G

·
if i remember correctly these fish have a verry specific diet and they are very hard to accomidate...i think they eat sponges....
someone please correct me if i am worng....

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The butterfly should take frozen prepared foods..but it can take some time for them to get used to it. I feed my copperband the same as Johnny...mysis shrimp and homemade seafood mush. You may also try a mussel or clam on the half shell to entice them to eat. This can really pollute your water though..so take it out if the fish won't eat it in a reasonable time. Bloodworms, brine and spirulina aren't quite right for this guy. You can try doing a search for blender mush to find out different "recipes" people use. Usually lots of shrimp, cod, clams, scallops, an oyster or 2, some spirulina, etc. Mix in food processor and freeze.

HTH-
Brooke

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the Mysis shrimp it's their favorite.Also they like homemade food consisting of fresh shrimp,oysters,mussel,clams.I just gave my Copperband away because it kept pecking at my anemone.
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.