The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone sorry for all the questions if you feel I'm being a pest but I wanna do this the right way so no fish or money is wasted. So I recently upgraded my 5.5 gallon to a flu all edge 12 it currently has 3 pounds of live rock I had in the 5 gallon for around 2 1/2 weeks that I bought already cured in salt water. So for the first time I did a water test and the results are as followed PH 7.4 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5.0 ppm and Ammonia 0 is it safe to put fish in on Saturday or should I wait a while and how can I naturally raise the ph with a chemical buffer? Any help is good and will a pair of clowns thrive in this tank?

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
You can raise the ph naturally by adding more oxygenation to the water, like pointing a powerhead so it ripples the surface. 12 gallons is a little small for a pair of clownfish, though there are a lot of choices for beautiful nano fish.
To check if more oxygenation will help, take a glass of tank water and measure the ph. Take it outside, let it sit and stir it up. Now take the ph again. If it is higher then more oxygenation will help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help I have a nano powerhead that I will hook up tonight. I guess I can put a fire fish and pistol shrimp and goby combo when the time is right

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Mine only seemed to try to jump when i did maintenance otherwise i think your firefish is a great choice. I kept 1 in a 8 gallon and he was perfect for that tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts