The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I need your help and I would really appreciate all of your suggestions. We've got a 36 gallon tank. It's been set up for over a year and we have a company that comes take care of the aquarium every two weeks. I've got no experience taking care of tanks and I've got a busy schedule so we pay someone to do it. I would like to learn in the future but for now it is what it is haha.

We've got 2 clown fish, 1 royal gramma and 1 fire goby. As for corals we've got 1 Duncan, 1 GSP, 1 Kenya Tree, 1 Chalice, 1 green hammer CORAL, 1 Montipora and 1 BTA.

We have the lights to turn on for 8 hours for daylight. White lights are in the low settings and blue are in medium I believe. Then when I get home from work I put blue lights only for a couple of hours.

Could you please tell me in your opinion what I should do about placement and conditions of the corals? I'll attach some photos of everything so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong lol.

The Chalice and the Montipora have not been looking good, they lost color, which probably happened because I had the white light in high and low blue light, I didn't notice since I was away at work and it turns on when I'm gone. So I changed the lights for a more subtle setting. The GSP and duncan are looking good I believe, I've noticed growth. The BTA almost died being sducked by the filter but we got it on time and we added sponges to everything to protect her. She's doing much better and looking good. The Kenya Tree is fine as well. The green hammer coral I'm not sure, her colors on top look good I think, and when we turn on the blue lights she looks good and healthy, but her trunk or whatever is called I feel like is looking too white or I don't know, so I'd like some advice please!

I really appreciate all of your help in advance. Can't wait to hear your suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to TRT William! I think jerry may have 'nailed it' for you......BLUE is definitely a benefit with Corals. I run my lights, 'LED's' pretty much 100% blue channel, and 50% whites. My experience is with 'soft' corals, and my GSP's and Kenya Trees love this combination. If you're interested in PAR readings, I'll fetch them for you.

From what I could make out from your pictures, everything looks 'happy' to me.

All the best, and hope other's chime in shortly for you.....weekends are hit or miss with folks out n about,
Hack
Yeah I adjusted them recently, lowering the white lights and increasing blue light. I noticed the Chalice and Montipora lost color but I think they maybe getting color back? I'm not sure. My other concern was the hammer coral. From what you can see in the photos does her "trunk" look healthy to you? I'm trying to learn how to tell when corals are dying or not happy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not sure what your maintenance person test for when they make the by weekly visits . But I’m sure they are doing water changes which sure keep your calcium,alkalinity and magnesium in check as the chalice and monti requirements are more demanding then the other corals.
Are you ever home when they come to maintain the tank? What lights are those.
I am not home when they come, otherwise I'd be asking questions every time lol.

Do you guys think the locations of the corals you see is OK?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey William......this is a novel concept to me, and sure to a lot of people on here, not that you use a 'service', but you're sharing that with us. So you have my curiosity pegged........does your 'service' offer a breakdown of what they do when they work on your system? We'd love to see what some of your 'readings' are.

Your system looks pristine from what I can see for a one year old tank. All these clues go hand in hand trying to offer good advice......age, water quality, lighting 'kind' PAR readings, water flow, maintenance......water change intervals, 'dosing', when Corals are added ect. This is a fantastic hobby, and you'll get a thrill out of it more when you do go HANDS ON eventually.

But if you think about it, ask your service if they can give you a print out of the HOW'S, WHAT'S and WHERE'S.....not only for us noisy people here, but for your reference in the future.

Hack

Sorry everyone in this post about the late response. I'm moving soon and I've just been busy. The company doesn't really offer a detail summary of what they do, but he did mention about my levels being fine so I know he tests the water when he comes and he does the water changes. I'm never home when he goes.

This really is a fantastic hobby. I found out the other day one of my coworkers has a salt aquarium too and we talk about it all the time. I would say you have no idea how satisfying it is to watch my fishes and corals but you all know what it feels haha. I really love this hobby and I wanna learn more. I even asked a fish store that I go sometimes to see if they gave any kind of classes to teach people how to take care of their aquariums and they said they will soon so I will definitely go.

Now like I said before I am in the middle of moving so I am a little worried about tíos process but hopefully it will be alright. Do you guys have any tips for me? These are all frags Soni can put them in containers, drain water, move then add water back and put corals back? What do you guys think? I'm so nervous. I'm moving like 20mins away so it won't take long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts