The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 8x80w T-5 system now but I would like to mix up the bulb selection that came in the fixture. Right now I have 5 11k and 3 actinic bulbs. I know I need some 6k light but how many 1 or 2? Are the 3 actinics enough as well? The fixture is on a 125g mixed reef tank. Thanks for any help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Ask Tony S (xaoss), I understand he is our new T-5 expert...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The number of bulbs should be fine with that setup for a mixed tank... its probably going to mostly come down to asthetics when it comes to bulb selection (without overlooking what you want to achieve in the tank)

What brand fixture/bulbs did you get?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fixture is a Catalina Ultralight and the bulbs that came with it are Tota brand. I plan on relacing them in stages with Giesemann bulbs. I'm just not sure of the 6K bulbs is one enough?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You can probably get away with just two whites. Here's one example of a config:

Blue+
Aquablue(11K)
GE Sun(6500K)
Blue+

Seems to be a common representation..... suprisingly if you want to change the color, try changing the order of the bulbs. By putting the white's forward,
you will get a more "white" look.

aquablue (11k)
Blue+
GE Sun (6500k)
Blue+

If you like the blue look try replacing the GE bulb with a second Aquablue. As expected, the more blue the lower the PAR.

ATI overall has the best PAR output with the exception of the Aquablue 11K which is beat by the Aquaz Ocean Pro and Helios Daylight 12K (which both appeard to be in the same). The GE 6500K Daylight had been the highest output but they appear to have changed it to a more white lamp which dropped the PAR down to the level of the Aquablues. It now looks very white compaired to the ATI Sun. Alot of people have trouble getting the color out of their setup with T5s... if you play around with different setups and still dont like it, try using VHO actinics (yes, they can be wired together on the same ballast).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts