The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new here. I hope I have this in the right part of the message board.
If this needs to be moved I am sorry! I looked for where to put it :(

I just started my 36 gal Bow front yesterday. So far I have 10 lbs. of live rock and live sand in it. I am planning on adding another 40-50 lbs of live rock (or dry rock) it before starting to add reef frags.

My question is.....

With that much live rock (if it fits and all is well) do I need to look at setting up a sump and protein skimmer? and getting rid of my sit on top filter.

OR

Keep the sit on top filter and purchase a sit on top protein skimmer...

Any advice for a beginner is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Silli
Welcome to The Reef Tank

Be careful how much rock you put in.....weight is a vuage measure of rock as far as how much room it will take up in your tank. I'd use my eye to judge how much flow you'll be able to get through and around the rocks. If you have too much and there is no flow, you'll end up with nutrients that will stay in the rock and then have the algae and other issues that are inherent with this.

Choeck out pics in photo galleries and such to get an idea of how much [volume wise] is enough. Don't be too concerned about the weight.

HTH

Welcome aboard.....you're going to like it here @ TRT

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silli
Welcome to The Reef Tank

Be careful how much rock you put in.....weight is a vuage measure of rock as far as how much room it will take up in your tank. I'd use my eye to judge how much flow you'll be able to get through and around the rocks. If you have too much and there is no flow, you'll end up with nutrients that will stay in the rock and then have the algae and other issues that are inherent with this.

Choeck out pics in photo galleries and such to get an idea of how much [volume wise] is enough. Don't be too concerned about the weight.

HTH

Welcome aboard.....you're going to like it here @ TRT
Thanks! I like this place so far.

I am not going to add all that rock in at one time. I'm buying 5-10lbs here and there. Im on a budget for this, so I don't plan on having any live stock in it for at least 1.5 months or so.

My main concern is filtration. I have had fresh water tanks for years, was scared to attempt salt water until now.

With freshwater, filtration was a must and need a lot of it. I know in saltwater the rocks and sand do a lot of it for you. From what I have read so far is with "enough" live rock and water flow you don't need a filtration system.... Well what is enough? LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
A neighbor and I kept our tanks with the sit on top filters for a few months, His was fish only, and mine was some coral and fish, i didnt keep it up long enough, I moved fast, did the hang in back for a few weeks, had a red slime outbreak, switched to canister, then same grossness in a few weeks, then i changed to a sump with filter socks and skimmer.

I did notice after moving rocks and stirring my sand the water stayed hazy for a loong time, compared to my other neighbors tank that had a sump (there was 3 of us in the hobby)

I ran just socks and a fuge with a light 24/7 for 9 months and had a beautiful tank. once i got the skimmer i seen really how much black stuff was in my water column, kinda gross.

So.. to answer your queston. Id say, definately doable, Would i run just a hang on and expect everything to be ok for years? probabally not. would running Just a hang on with no additional flow cut it? definately not. At the least get some cheap powerheads off ebay.. by cheap i mean smaller brand name ones for your tank, not off brands.. You will be happy you bought quality stuff down the road, this hobby seems to keep going for a while lol

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
from what I hear it will be.. your cleaning & maintenance each week-2weeks should be plenty to keep it clean. I run a HOB just for waterflow with no media in it, and put a filter in it for cleanings to help catch the waterborn debis I kick up into the water column, then I take it out a few hours later. from what I understand this should be good enough to keep everything stable until I increase the bioload. How well this method handles the bioload will depend on how often you clean but I will be adding a protein skimmer just because they do stuff on a molecular level that I just cannot.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
if you think about it, your just trying to recreate nature. the cleanings are like the waves and natural waterflow cleaning the debis off of and out of stuff, and the protein skimmer is natural too, the waves and natural water flow bring small bubbles of air into the sea creating a natural skimmer, ever been to a beach and never seen air bubbles in the water or on the shore?? or water a documentary on reefs and never seen water bubbles floating past the camera? a skimmer is just our mechanical way to recreate nature, just like using a siphon to clean gravel and a powerhead or turkey baster to blow off live rock.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Just starting off you don't need much LR at all, I've got around 20pounds in my 55gal right now and that would probably be enough for whatever I wanna do in my tank. But it's not enough to please the aesthetics. You will probably have more LR in there to make your aqua scape how you want it then you will need so that is one thing you don't have to worry about. Just to give you an estimate, 20 pounds of live rock is only 7 small to medium pieces of rock, I'll post a pic here a little later of my new aqua scape to give you a better idea

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Hello I am new here. I hope I have this in the right part of the message board.
If this needs to be moved I am sorry! I looked for where to put it :(

I just started my 36 gal Bow front yesterday. So far I have 10 lbs. of live rock and live sand in it. I am planning on adding another 40-50 lbs of live rock (or dry rock) it before starting to add reef frags.

My question is.....

With that much live rock (if it fits and all is well) do I need to look at setting up a sump and protein skimmer? and getting rid of my sit on top filter.

OR

Keep the sit on top filter and purchase a sit on top protein skimmer...

Any advice for a beginner is much appreciated!
Live rock will work better than sit on top filter. But nothing can replace a protein skimmer, except for water changes. So my recommendation would be drop the filter and add skimmer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts