The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with Copperband Butterfly. The fish appears to have some sort of infection...I think. It is breathing rapidly and has redness around its mouth.

Just a little background. This fish was recently purchased from the LFS. When I purchased it, it had these symptoms and also little white dots on its fins. This guy looked like he had one foot in the grave, so I thought I would try and save him. Well, the little white dots are now gone, but the fish is still breathing rapidly and has redness around the mouth.

I need advice on what I can do to help this poor guy?

Sean

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
I find that the majority of flys I buy have gill infections that lead to death if I don't treat soon enough.
Coppersafe, with salt water Maracyn and Maracyn II are the treatment regime I use. The copper to kill the parasite, and the two maracyns to control the possible infections that can develop. The maracyn's also have vitamins that help the fishes own systems to resist the infections.
Of course, I treat in a hospital tank, not the main tank.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I had (have) a similar problem with some new fish I've been treating in a QT/hospital tank. Fish seem to have had a mouth infection I think is "mouth fungus" (which actually is a bacteria), in conjunction with ich. I treated the mouth fungus with Maracyn II for 7 days, and it's almost completely cleared. The ich I've been treating with hyposalinity (just finishing the first week of that), and its slowy fading too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice rayjay and phantom.

I'm hoping once I nurse this guy back to health, he'll have quite the appetite for aptasia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts