The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon all glass reef ready pre-drilled tank (with the corner overflow and two holes drilled in the bottom of the tank). I also have an Amiracle wet/dry filter. I need some plumbing help I know that one of the holes in the bottom of the tank will have the flex hose from it to the filter, but for the life of me I can't figure out where the second hole runs too (or should I just use a plug for that one). I know that I also want an pump from the final stage of the filter to pump the water back into the tank (I want the filter to be outside this sump area because I don't want to heat the water with an inline filter), so there will be a hose from the sump area of the filter to the pump to the top of the tank with a u shaped hook hose.

Does this sound correct, and if not can someone help me please.

Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hmmm.. sounds like you have two corner overflows... Run them both down then run a pipe with a T and have that dump into the sump. ! _______________________ _____________________!
!

I'm on a phone hopefully that came out right.

Am I catching what your throwing down?

By filter what are we talkin bout? Skimmer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

That was what I was thinking about the second overflow... I guess a T-would work from the bottom of the tank to a single flex hose to the bulk head of the filter. The filter is an older Amiracle with a three stage movement. Left will fill from the tank, then to a drip tray (with filter media) onto bio balls then over to the sump side... Can you suggest a pump which can be used to move the water from the sump side of the filter to return to the tank... Like I said I want this to be outside the sump cause I don't want to heat the water up. I'm going to be using 3 36 inch VHO bulbs with a ballast. These will be approximately 12 inches from the water with two fans drawing off the heat some. I will put a heater in the filter but will dial it down completely until I finish set up so I can see what kind of heat I produce with the lights.

I want to thank you for responding so quickly. Can I buy the connectors for the hosing from a local hardware store or will I need to purchase these at a petstore?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
You probably won't find bulkheads at your local hardware store. Those are what go into the holes drilled into the tank. One hole is the drain and the other is for the return.

You can see the typical setup here.
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/megaflow-accessory-kit-for-overflow-aquariums.htm

You can find DIY directions here.
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Running both of your drain lines into one line using a T is a mistake. This will reduce the amount of flow that it can handle and leave you no backup if the one drain line clogs. Run both drains independently all the way to the sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts