The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent posted in a long while but everything was going fine until one afternoon i come home from work and like half of my tank was covered in this red slime fuzz. In the morning when I first turn the lights on it seems to not be there... but by the time i get home from work it has managed its way to cover everything in its path... the sand the rocks and even some of my zoas... any idea as to what it is and how to control it? ... also are pepermint shrimp pretty efficient at killing aiptasia? those dudes are taking over my tank as well...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey I have a couple of those shrimps and it is hit or miss with those things. The ones I have killed a couple but lately they haven't done anything with them so I have been zapping them with aiptasia x just to keep them under control. As for the red stuff, I think it might be because you don't have good water movement in your tank. What type of water movement do you have in your tank? Powerheads? Wavemaker?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I havent posted in a long while but everything was going fine until one afternoon i come home from work and like half of my tank was covered in this red slime fuzz. In the morning when I first turn the lights on it seems to not be there... but by the time i get home from work it has managed its way to cover everything in its path... the sand the rocks and even some of my zoas... any idea as to what it is and how to control it? ... also are pepermint shrimp pretty efficient at killing aiptasia? those dudes are taking over my tank as well...
Aiptasia: Aptasia X, Joe's Juice or Pickling Lime (which is what Joe's Juice is). You can get Pickling Lime at the grocery store for for a dollar or so and have enough to kill 6 billion aiptasia. OK, maybe only 5 billion of them but it is very cheap.

What are the water parameters? Nitrates?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since it seems grow during the day its most likely to Red slime (Cyanobacteria). When the lights are off it seems to shrink away....I think its just getting its beauty sleep because when the lights come on it seems to double what you had the day before.

Things i checked to clear mine up:

• Flow helps but but dosent fix the problem.
  • How old are your lights? might be time to replace them. As bulbs get older, they begin to stray from the 420-480 nm range. Cyanobacteria thrive on light in about the 525 nm range.
  • Is you skimmer working well enough for your tank?
  • feeding habits.
  • good clean up crew
  • water changes - bigger/more frequent.
  • You can also try cutting back the lights to help "starve" it out as you work on water quality.
  • Nitrates? If you have a lot of Cyno the traits have to be high. The Cyno could be thriving on the nitrates and causing the test kit to read low. Siphon out as much of the slim as you can and retest in the morning to see if traits are higher.
I've ran into Cyno problems on my tanks when they were 6 - 8 month old.

I have actually watched my sleeper banded goby eat red slime but there wasnt much of it to eat. Hopefully I wont get the chance but next time I'll try to get it on video if he will try it again.

Aptasia - joes juice works for me. Tried lemon juice on a few big ones, it worked but had to be injected directly into the stalk....to hard to get to some of them.

Good luck!

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
Siphon out as much of the cyano as possible during water changes (you might want to use a toothbrush and scrub it off the rocks while siphoning) and follow the previous recommendations about lighting and nutrient control.

If you can remove the rock with the aptasia and you won't hit any desireable corals , try plain white vinegar in a syringe. You can actually hear 'em sizzle! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
For Aptasia I've used lemon juice and a syringe. About 1/2ml injected into it does the trick.
You can get a syringe from a local pharmacy and lemon juice from the grocery store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts