The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given a very nice 27 gal hexagon tank. I am thinking of doing a fowlr tank with Ocellaris clownfish , my first marine set up. I have a ton of experience with fresh water systems.
What equipment should i buy to make it run smooth and any suggestions would be great.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

To set up a tank you'll need-

1) Rock - live rock or dry rock will be the home for your bacteria, which will be your filter. Live rock comes with bacteria already in place, so your cycle time is shorter, but it's more expensive and can come with unwanted hitchhikers. Dry rock comes with no bacteria in place, so you're basically growing it from scratch - which isn't hard, but it does take longer. It's also less expensive than starting with live rock and comes with no hitchhikers.

The typical amount of rock used in a saltwater tank is around a pound per gallon, but you can use more or less if you prefer.

2) Sand - Sand is also used at a typical amount of a pounder per gallon, but again you can use more, or even none, if you prefer.

3) Good water. You don't want to use tap water, so you'll want to find a good source of water. Either buy RODI from your LFS, buy distilled from the grocery store, or buy a unit to make RODI water at home (Spectrapure has a nice referb unit for about $120).

4) Salt - Regular instant ocean is fine.

5) Test kit - you'll want a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. API has a nice kit that includes all of those for a decent price.

6) Hydrometer or refractometer - to measure your salinity. Hydrometers are less expensive, but refractometers and more accurate.

7) Heater

8) Powerheads - water movement is very important in saltwater. The goal is to avoid "dead spots" where waste settles and soaks into rocks and sand, causing water quality issues and algae. I usually aim for a flow rate of about 30-40x.

9) Light - FOWLR is less of a worry than if you want coral, but really think about that before you decide. Coral is a lot of fun, and in a smaller tank like the one you have you won't have many fish, so coral gives you a lot more color and options. If you do decide to stick to FOWLR, just avoid freshwater lighting as it can fuel algae growth.

Think I got most of it! Hopefully someone will pop in and check my work, make sure I didn't miss anything. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answers and tips... will defiantly post pics as soon as i get it up and running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts