The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post at TRT, thanks for a great site with tons of advice!

I'm looking for some advice on a montipora that I've had for several months, probably 3 or 4.

It had been doing well, an orange-pink color for several months, but the metal halide I had been using was very old. (I dont even know anything about it other than it was 175w) Other than the halide, for my 60g tank, I use two 40w flourescents, one actinic and the other 50/50. I decided to replace the halide with a 10K 175w given by a friend also in the hobby (who said it was new), and no change occurred for almost a month. After a month or so, however, the coral began losing its color. My water parameters were generally steady, and I hadn't really added anything new to the tank, so I figured the new light must have been the culprit. Thus, I added a different 175w metal halide, 14k kelvin. For a bit, it kept declining, but I'm starting to see some very gradual recoloration and regrowth.

The problem is that the piece used to be about 8 inches diameter, all colored, and is now only colored on 1/6 of that area, the rest bleached. Furthermore, some of the bleached area of the coral has started getting algae growth. Is it possible for it to regrow throughout its old skeleton? Or should I try to just salvage the remaining areas via fragging?

The nearby corals (in case of a hostile attack being the problem, perhaps) are a large pavona and spongodes, and a hairy mushroom. The coral is near the top of the tank, only about 6 inches from the waters surface.

I supplement daily with marine snow, though for a bit my LFS didn't get a supply and I had to do without. I perform weekly or at least biweekly water changes, and use a ph buffer and trace supplement biweekly.

Unfortunately I'm at work, but I'll provide pics when I get home. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
If you can, move it to a slightly shaded area of the tank. The coral bleached due to the rapid change in lighting intensity.

You may be able to get it to recover, but it may take quite some time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts