The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who know me you may remember that last year I had a terrible outbreak of bubble algae. Well that was quickly taken care of with my Foxface. Now I wish it were so simple. I have hair algae like you would not believe. I did a thorough cleaning and rock brushing last week. The tank looked great as I also had to re-aquascape things. All parameters are good, very good as a matter of fact. I do a 20 gal water change a week with ro/di water which is also used for my top off. I add only aragamight to my tank and some iodine every other day. I do occasionaly have to add some reef builder to up the alk. Temps are steady at 76 - 81 during the day. I reduced my lighting cycle, started feeding only every other day, and added a phosphate reducer in the sump. I still have the 125 with a 100 gal sump. actinic vho's on at 9a.m. mh's on at 11a.m. then mh's off at 7 and actinics at 8. For about a week I cut the lights at 5. But now it's coming back, any thoughts or experience ? Give me bubble anyday.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
Hair algae is a curse, that's for sure. I've got some that's choking out my trumpet. And the clean up crew that I bought don't know what their purpose in life is. ;) Let's see how others have dealt with it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I dealt with it by cheating and I am sure most like doing natural methods of disposal. I'd say more regular water changes and a good clean up crew would do best. A yellow tang would also help because mine seems to love my hair alge when I get it on rare occasions now.

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
Scott, remind me of the age of your RO/DI,,,about a year or so?
i'll have to get over there and test the tap vs. DI with my TDS meter,,,gotta show it off to SOMEONE! LOL

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
also,,, mebbe take in a sample to a local water filter type store, Hebron maybe has Osby's i think,,, also think by law they gotta test your water fer free,,,
take in DI water , and don't tell them it's DI unless they ask if it's out of your tap,,,,then say yes,,:rolleyes: well it DID right?
it not a lie!
there gonna want to sell you filtration/conditioners, so look for a suprized look from them ,if the water tests TOO well for our "country" water,,,,
get a report with numbers and such,,,and have Jean or your daughter take in tap water the next day or something,,,compare the two,,,,
i'm not sneaky, i'm frugal!:funny:

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
one more thing,,i seem to recall that mebbe Lugol's might help feed the hair,,,can't say for sure tho,,,
IMO, once a week for the Lugols,,,
'member,,ya got the xenia from me,,,
no set schedule for me on Lugol's , i kinda watch the xenia,,and go from there,,,

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
if it is that bad, and the tank is well established. i would suggest a sea hare. mine has done an amazing job of eliminating my hair algae. not the pretties thing to look at, but pretty cool. my wife really likes it though, which totally surprised me. right now i am having problems giving it enough to eat. luckily it also like sargassum and the padina.

G~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Geoff,

How 'bout a pic? Also, if you are having that much trouble finding food for it, please send it to the mountains for the summer :D I've got a good supply of hair algae, and seeing more every day.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
here ya go kestrel

actually that is pretty temping. or maybe i could rent the hare out! my tank was just about covered in hair algae and within a couple of months it cleaned it right up! i was hoping to get a smaller one, but this was the only one my LFS could get. it is 8 inches long.

G~

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
OK Cool.

Which LFS? I come down to Raleigh about once a month, for business.

Or the other option: Would you like to borrow a few large rocks? They are semi-live rock - actually they are dead coral skeletons that have been in my tank for 5 years as of Friday. They have spots of coraline, but still seem to act more as detritus traps and algea platforms than anything else. The worst one is a finger/table acropora, about 12" across and weighing in at too many pounds - I've never weighed it but probably 15-20 lbs.

Daryl

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks guys, especially you Spanky for the live rock idea. Why didn't I think of that ? I'll go right out tomorrow and pick up another 180# of LR for the sump. I have several critters that should do well ie: Yellow tang, regal tang, foxface etc, and about 100 each crabs, and a variety of snails, nothing wants to touch the hair. Guess I'll get the toothbrush out tomorrow and start scrubbing before it gets bad again. :idea:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:funny: Yeah Spanky that's great, I will tell the wife as soon as I log off that we need some vats and more pumps running. The only good thing that I see coming of this is that I will be forced to move back to Marathon, then at least we can dive together. I guess that maybe Jeff would come see me once in awhile then. And Jeff, the ro/di is just over a year. Which is why I put the phosphate sponge in the sump. As far as the lugols... I'm not sure about how that dosing relates to microalgae. I know that iron is a huge factor, but I have none of that. Or at least not much. But hey... grab a toothbrush and come on over.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
Drat, Geoff! What's an owner of a small tank supposed to do? My trumpet (I call him Wynton) has hair algae in between the polyps :eek: Now how do I get that out? I tried plucking it out with tweezers, but too slippery for that. It's really odd...There's hair algae just on the right side of the tank, not the left.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pirate--

I feel your pain. My 125 was BAD and neither my tang or foxface would touch the stuff. Eventually someome told me that it was because I was feeding them too much. I cut the feedings back to every 4 or 5 days for about 5 weeks and now my hair algae is almost completely gone. I now only feed every few days and the tang and foxface still spend all day eating hair off the rocks.
HTH

-John

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Spanky said:
Dolabrifera dolabrifera

Ok Geoff, spill it. Where did you get him? :)
Spanky-dang it, i thought it was a Dolabella auricularia i tried like crazy to get the correct species off of the nudi site. i guess i failed.:( now i get to do more research.:D

i just asked the LFS to get me a sea hare. they had no idea what i was talking about, but they said their distributor had one. i was hoping to get a smaller one. is this a good one, i like it.

Kestrel-the LFS actually thought it was a good idea, so they ordered another one. it is supposedly much smaller. i have yet to find it in their tank, but the say it is still in there. i believe them since they like to hide during the day. if you are interested i can make sure the hold it. it has been there for several weeks now. i guess it is hard to sell something that hides all day and look like a lump a dirt.:D

G~

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Pirate said:
The only good thing that I see coming of this is that I will be forced to move back to Marathon, then at least we can dive together.
I'll help you guys pack. :)

This will kill you. Friends of ours are selling their house in Marathon. Two story duplex, one up, one down, 6 BR, 4 bath on the canal behind the coffee shop oceanside across from the airport.

$350,000

Did I mention two sets of davits? 70ft seawall? oceanview?

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.