The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone so today I went to my LFS and purchased some more cured live rock and when I got home I noticed a sun coral and a carnation tree coral I know they are NPS and don't need light but I've read they're extremely difficult to keep can anymore elaborate thanks BTWi have a fluval edge 12 5 pounds live rock A ocellaris clown and 3 pounds of live sand I use nutri sea water so all my parameters are in check Ph 8.3 nitrite ammonia 0 nitrate 0

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I wouldn't really recommend NPS in a 12g tank. Since they're non-photosynthetic they only get food from what's in the water column, meaning you'd have to feed them daily. In a mature, higher nutrient tank, you'd have micro plankton in the water that would help sustain them. In a 12g tank feeding those coral daily could wreck havoc on your water quality. If you're set on trying one I'd definitely recommend the sun coral over the carnation. Be aware that you have to wait for the polyps to come out to feed it (usually at night) and it each head needs fed daily. It's a lot of dedication - definitely not a "plug-and-play" coral.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Agree with Chi

These aren't easy keepers for sure. I had a sun coral, but they go to bed when I get up and vise versa. :)

Some folks have good luck with them, but I think they're better suited to mature tanks of larger volume and cared for by experienced reefers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice but my LFS doesn't want to return them for me so I guess it's not gonna be my LFS from now on is there anyone here that's willing to take it? The sun corals opened and I feed them by via the bottle top method but I wouldn't mind donating the carnation tree to a serious reefer lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts