The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help understanding how the vinyl tubing will connect to the bulkhead. From listening to others sounds like the tubing should go over the bulkhead but I just got my bulkheads and tubing(recieved the stiff instead of the flexible:eek: ) So they are sending the right stuff. Anyway from looking at the bulkhead and tubing the tube wont go over the thread but in. I asked the guy about it and he said there is a fitting to go in the bulkhead that the tube will slide over. Help I don't want leaks! I am going to use silicone on it but does the tubing part sound right?

·
11,345 Posts
Im not sure exactly what you are talking about....but if its what i think you need to get a threaded fitting(or s slip x thread reducing fitting possibly if its a slip bulkhead) that has a hose barb on the end...you minght have to get a reducing fitting to make it work. The only thing i use anywhere is flex pvc when flex is required so it DOES simply get glued in with or without a union depending on the application

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you have "barbed" bulkheads or "slip" ones or both? The AGA Magaflow supplies both. Barbed would connect to flexible vinyl hose and slip would connect to hard or flex PVC.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's called a slip bulhead. He is sending some kind of fixing with the replacement tubing so maybe it will all make sense then.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay now I get it. Providing he is sending me the female adapter I just screw it on the threaded part of the bulkhead and then slid the vinyl pvc onto the adapter and clamp with hose clamp?

·
11,345 Posts
Yes but youll want to try to find a plastic hose clamp......not mandatory, but the others WILL rust eventually even if they are not directly in the water.......

Thats just one of the many reasons i really prefer pipe and glue............but the barbed fittings work fine too

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep Was going to look for plastic. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know why I was so confused. Not only did I get the wrong pvc tubing but they also sent two 3/4 in bulkheads and one was supposted to be a 1 inch bulkhead. No wonder I couldn't get the bulkhead to work with the pvc it's the wrong size. They are sending the correct bulkhead too.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bulkhead is threaded but called a slip? I think when I get all the correct parts it will make sense. Once I figured out that neither bulkhead would fit the 1 inch pipe I played around with the 3/4 inch pipe and bulkhead. The pipe slides in the bulkhead and is very tight. Do I have to go with adapters and stuff or can I just silicone the tube in there?

·
11,345 Posts
jenajet said:
The bulkhead is threaded but called a slip? I think when I get all the correct parts it will make sense. Once I figured out that neither bulkhead would fit the 1 inch pipe I played around with the 3/4 inch pipe and bulkhead. The pipe slides in the bulkhead and is very tight. Do I have to go with adapters and stuff or can I just silicone the tube in there?
If the bulkhead is threaded then it needs a threaded fitting to go into the bulkhead with barbed nipple on the other end that slips into the pipe.

You will just use a touch of silicone and some plumbers tape to the threaded male end that threads into your bulkhead.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the bulkead. Inside is smooth threads are on the outside.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Ok, then you will need a short length of hard pipe, some PVC glue/primer, and a slip/thread adaptor, then the thread -> nipple part.

Bulkhead -> glued to pipe -> glued to slip/thread adpter -> threaded into the thread/nipple part -> to your rubber hose.

Really it is easer just to get a bulkhead that is threaded on the inside.

Whiskey

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got what I was told to get! Cross that bridge when I get there now that I am waiting on more parts.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
If your bulkhead is not threaded then there is nothing to screw the adaptor into. What you have is a slip bulkhead (just like a slip 90) the inside of it is not threaded, but designed for a pipe to be glued into it.

The adaptor needs to go on the INSIDE of the bulkhead, not on the outside.

Whiskey

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry and probly a stupid question but if the bulkhead is male and that adapter is female, wouldnt it screw onto the outside of the bulkhead. What is the difference in a adapter being on the inside of the bulkhead and one that goes on the outside?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts