The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing that people are doing Auto top offs with air pumps, I dont understand it. What all do you need to do this? Can I use the float switch I have or do I need a different Kind?

Im completly lost on this, I have even read other peopls DIY pages on it and I didnt understand a thing.

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
I don't know about your setup, but Mine works great! I have a couple extra float switches (dual float) that you can use with a small powerhead... I'd be glad to trade for frags!!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
alright brother I'll try to explain it to you with the setup that I have. I got my FS off of http://www.floatswitches.net/ you can see a pic of the FS thats what I ahve, I'm not too sure how to incorporate yours cuz it looks like it needs to sit sideway; can be done, but might need more work to get it in your tank or sump. Here is a pic of mine on my 10g

you have a simple airpump, mine is battery opperated so I dont have to worry about shorting out any switches or pumps. Alls you do is wire in the FS to the battery leads by following this diagram http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1366 It's simple as can be, easy and efficient. Might not be the best for larger tanks, but thats when you just wire up a PH, which I believe you can find out how to do all that on the first link that I gave you from the FS's. Just have a hose go from the airpump to a short tube in the sealed bottle, then have a long ridged tube goto the bottom of the bottle, that will suck the water up the tube from the pressure and that will lead to yur tank or sump. Just make sure that the top off bottle is lower than the source of water it's going into, or the back pressure will keep the flow going and empty the whole bottle into your tank.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I think i understand now, But I dont think that it would be good on my tank. right now its a total of 40 gallons and I have to top off about 1/2 a gallon a day due to lighting and haveing an open top. I guess im just going to have to build the real deal.

How many float switches do you guys use on your tank? I really dont want it to flood, so should I go with 2? im just going to use a 5 gall bucket with a maxi 1200 and 2 float switches.

Chicagoman, what kind of frags? I have a small hammer that I can trade, I broke it when I was messing with my tank so I think its only 2 heads. I also have some pocilipora(sp?) thats looking amazing.
How is that candy cane doing? I got some new candy cane and put it like half way up my tank and the lighting cause one of the heads to start melting. How does your LPS do under your MH?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have used a single floatswitch, maxi-jet 600 and a DIY snail guard for over 3 years now with no problems....Knock on wood.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You should see mine on a 29g. I use one of those five gallon containers, two sections of the 1/4" rubber tube (found on RO/DI units), and a ball value. I set mine to drip once every 2-4 seconds and so far haven't had a flood. I was even gone for about 5 days and everything held up great. The only downside is that you have to keep the container higher than your fish tank for gravity to work but other than that, it's cheap and easy to setup.

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
pocilipora(sp?) sounds good! have hammer already...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Pillz.
2 float switches to be safe and an Maxi-jet 400 would work just as good.

·
ARC Member
707 Posts
Sprayin70 said:
One ARC meeting we should do a diy auto top off session. It would be neat. We could find out how much it would cost and paypal the money to the person in charge and they could have the parts ready for the meeting. Just an idea.
Sounds like a great idea. I'll add it to the list of possible meeting topics for the upcoming months!

·
Registered
351 Posts
make sure you use a relay if your going to run a large pump(maxi jet or larger) or you might burn out the float switch.

I also use just one at the moment on my big tank which looses over a gallon a day.

Im going to add another to the top off tank itself to prevent the pump from running dry though.

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
My setup has a float switch (dual float), I only use one of the floats. This switch turns on and off a powerhead to pump RODI water into the sump, I use a float valve to control the water level in the RODI tank. The tank never runs out cause it is plumbed directly to the RODI supply. It has worked flawlessly for almost a year now...

I have 2 extra float switches if anyone needs one! I'd be happy to trade for frags of almost anything I don't already have! I'll help with the wiring if ya need me to!
I may even have an extra acrylic tank (1.5 gal or so) that can be used for a RODI tank, otherwise a 5gal bucket works great, that is what I used to use...

I'll try and get some pictures when I get home tonight to post here tomorrow, some of you have seen my setup.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey Im down for the tank and the float switch Im not sure coral wise what you may want I can list what I can trade.

I can frag the following.

frogspawn 1 head
monticap green 1in peice
pocilipora

plus I can toss in some cash or something. let me know.

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
Frog and pocilipora frags sound good to me!

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
MY top off setup

Here is my setup...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts