The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks-

I was trying to get my new JBJ auto topoff configuration working today. I'm using a 10 gallon tank as the reservoir. I have float switches in my 30 gallon sump and in the reservoir. I think I have a Rio 600 pump.

Here is the problem... I have to have the reservoir at a higher level than the sump. Thus, there seems to be an issue with a siphon being created, so that even when the pump quits pumping, the water keeps flowing. :arg:

I realize this is probably a really stupid question, but how do I keep the siphon from forming so that when the pump stops, the water quits flowing through the hose?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
862 Posts
if it is a syphon issue, can you find/install a check valve (check valves allow flow in only one direction) in the offending line?

other than the issue you have, do you like the system? I am shopping for one myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think I figured it out already... the pump came with a venturi attachment. I used the venturi output piece, but left off the venturi hose. This makes the water drain back to the reservoir when the pump shuts off, instead of following the siphon into the sump.

Akula, I see no problems with this system. If you're a lazy person/klutz like me and don't want to try and rig up your own system with float switches and such, it is well worth the $75 or so cost.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the hose output in sump can't be below where the reservoir pump is, and can't be below the water line in the sump..
that will keep the siphon from occuring and doesn't cost a penny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts