The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milli! The pics are not so good, hopefully someone will be able to chime in... This is the only coral that seems to be affected. I can post system specs later if needed.

Then only change I have done lately is removed the carbon from the system. (GF ball valve broke!)

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouccmich - The polyps are gone in that area.

Stuckey_t - I will have to check, I have not checked them in months, just doing the 2-3 week water changes.

I also started filling my water change tank when I noticed this. It came at the worst time, as my whole week is booked with stuff going on every evening.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Any SPS added in the last few months? Flatworms maybe? In all honesty it looks more like a chemical hit, possibly slime from another coral hit it. I had a monti cap get hit like that but it only bleached in that spot, didn't lose it's polyps. Maybe a sweeper from a nearby coral?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tutmos said:
Any SPS added in the last few months? Flatworms maybe? In all honesty it looks more like a chemical hit, possibly slime from another coral hit it. I had a monti cap get hit like that but it only bleached in that spot, didn't lose it's polyps. Maybe a sweeper from a nearby coral?
Yes, The Acro directly behind it with the purple tips was added within the last 2 months. I also added a smaller milli at the same time. I did not see any AEFW or red bugs on them at the time I added them, but that is not saying that they are not there... I know I have added corals from systems that have had AEFW and red bugs, but I personally have not seen neither of them in my system. I do know that my 6 line from time to time really checks out the corals. That's got me wondering now.... Maybe I do have them, I just don't see them :(

I would have a hard time believing it is a sweeper, as the area that is affected is no where near another coral.

In the 2nd pick, the monti is getting hit with sweepers, and that is why it looks bleached...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am moving at the end of the month, maybe this would be a good time to treat for AEFW and red bugs...

Would it hurt to treat for them if I do not have them?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Looks more to me like it was stung by another coral or another corals slime hit it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
redwinger said:
Looks more to me like it was stung by another coral or another corals slime hit it.
Is it possible for coral slime from one coral that ends up in the water (not attached at this point) to land on another coral on the other side of the tank?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
ksarauer said:
Is it possible for coral slime from one coral that ends up in the water (not attached at this point) to land on another coral on the other side of the tank?
:agree: Yep

·
TCMAS member
329 Posts
I agree with Redwinger.

Only other possibility (then what's been mentioned) would be if you've maybe had a recent temperature spike?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's stung, is it a 1 time thing, or will it get worse day by day?
I think it's getting worse.. Should I break the branch off so it does not spread to the rest of the coral?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Some corals will recover from a sting and some need to be fragged is what I have found IME.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!! I think I'm gonna frag it..

Here are my water params...
PH 8.23 - 8.36
Temp 80 - 80.5

Calcium - 360
Mag - 1050
KH/Alk - 14.08/5.02

PO4 - undetectable

What should I do about my Alkalinity?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Add some calcium to bring it back down, also you will want to raise your Mg as it is low. Should be around 1300-1400ppm range. As you raise your calcium your alk should drop down. The Mg will also help keep the alk stable I have found.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are pics of an acro crab that I removed. I found him going to town on another coral....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts