The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone we have some wierd stuff going on in our tank we have about 25lbs of LR in our tank and while sitting infront of it looking at all the stuff that appeared (3 featherdusters) we also noticed some wierd little bubble looking things that are greenist in color and clear we have no idea what it is. Also we have another little thing thats the size of a pencil eraser and looks like a anamone without tentecles. Any help would be great

Tory & Dawn

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
The pencil eraser thing sounds like the start of a button polyp...

The green bubble stuff sounds like bubble algae... You need to get rid of that stuff... Someone will reccomend the fish that will eat it for ya... I think it's a blenny or goby... not exactly sure which one though...

Can you get pics of any of this stuff?

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
If it is green buble algae it could be Valonia. Most emerald crabs will eat them. You can pick them off the rocks CAREFULLY, do not break them in the tank, if you do the algae will spread.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I agree with Rob as emerald crabs are great for bubble algae and and other nuisance algae as well!!:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rob_Reef_Keeper said:
If it is green buble algae it could be Valonia. Most emerald crabs will eat them. You can pick them off the rocks CAREFULLY, do not break them in the tank, if you do the algae will spread.
Before adding emerald crabs do a search on TRT. There are a number of people who have had problems with emerald crabs in their tank once they started putting in corals.

Since your tank is really new I'd recommend pulling out the rock with the bubble algae on it and (using a really sharp knife) just removing the stuff. I had the problem in my brand new tank and cutting the algae off (making sure I didn't burst their bubble :)) and then washing it off with some RO/DI water seemed to do the trick.

I've also read that a Foxface will eat green bubble algae, but because I don't have a Foxface in my tank I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Good luck.
K.M.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had that problem with the bubble algae, I just took a small spoon and scraped it off the rock. It came off without bursting and haven't had a problem since. (This was the recommendation from my LFS)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.