The Reef Tank banner
6K views 99 replies 20 participants last post by  Rippey 
#1 ·
I just got home and found two dead fish. I lost a hippo tang and a coral beauty. I'm really upset right now. I'm thinking of trowing in the towel.
:bawling: :titanic:

#4 ·
The hippo looked like he had ick so I've been feeding more garlic in the food. They all looked fine last night and ate. They all looked fine this morning to. No all I have is a PH test I'm going to test that right now. It's a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump I use carbon bags and a large skimmer.

#5 ·
It is a hard hobby, You will lose fish sometimes, Not that it's a ok thing but it happens, We all hate to lose fish, But I will say that the fish You have and keep for many years will make it worth it. I have had fish live and grow for years. But I have lost fish also, It maybe the way they are handled before You get them , just weak to start with. I alway feel bad when I lose a fish or coral,

#8 ·
What is the temp in the tank? When was the last time you fed them? I would prob do a water change. You should get some test so you know whats going on.
I'm really sorry about your fish. We've all been there and we all feel your pain.
Patrick

#10 ·
the part that scares me is that they are breathing heavily. I would do a water change and change the charcoal. Something is wrong for sure but with no test it's hard to tell what. I find that water changes correct most things so at this point imo you have nothing to lose.

#23 ·
timmy-how long has this tank been setup?

sounds like you have a ph test kit-any change. some newer houses retain co2 because they are "too air tight." have your windows been closed with the cooler weather. any major fluctuation in temp? what size heater and can you check the temp early in the morning (generally the coolest temp of the day).

tg

#24 ·
im sorry to hear about your fishy's...its hard. i dont have any answers for you but i know how you feel to be so helpless to watching your fish die:bawling:

i also have a pond and i just lost 3 fish 2 days ago...one died within matters of seconds in front of me. its very sad.

our places close at 6pm here.... so its kinda hard when you notice it later. i have come to learn to keep a varity of things on hand.. for the most common problems.

again im sorry :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

i wouldnt quit though..the rest still need you..plus i know you would miss it

keep us updated

#25 ·
I use Kent Garlic Extreme for ich. I don't feed it to the fish. I put 1 drop per 10g. You should really let your salt water sit for at least 24 hrs. after you mix with a power head or air stone. Lets your water values settle. I have never had a fish die from ich. I've done other stupid stuff though. I hate to lose a fish but that's how you keep from doing it again as far as that mistake goes. Do you have a skimmer? sump, etc. Really need to know what your entire setup is to help much.

#26 ·
It's a 125 g rr with a 40 gallon sump. euroreef 8-3 skimmer mag 18 for return and only a 200watt heat. Yes I plan on a bigger heater before winter. I will check me temp in the AM and see what it looks like. The tanks been up for abiut 8 months give or take.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.