The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased florida base rock from Ocala for .25lb and California rock but looks more like grey lava rock really poris. Any ideas on cleaning it. IE. Bleach for a few days then sun dry then rince for a week or can I just get away with hosing it really good, soak it then put it in treated water.. Any ideas?

UPDATE!

Ok my plans are this. High pressured cleaned the rock, Placed the rocks in 1 gallon of distilled (low ph) put an airstone in and turn it up. Wait 6 hours and test the PH. If still with-in parms then test again in 12 hours. If no change at all then should be safe after I test for phosphates. will leave the test peice in for 72 hours just to make sure.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I once soaked a piece of rock overnight in a bleachwater solution cleaned, rinsed, rinsed again, and then soaked it again in fresh saltwater with heavy dose of water condition and a powerhead for a week before adding it to my qt to cure. This was a last resort. Something died somewhere and it caused a horrid smell to come from the tank. I am still watching and doing test and so far so good. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I have never done this before and still waiting to see long term effects.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bulk Rock

There was someone here is tampa that bought bulk rock in Sarasota, I just went to wingate and they had some Florida base rock but had this califorinia lava rock pretty cool stuff kinda looks like regular lava rock but white/grey color. with somekind of clear crystals in it. I just do not want to put it into the tank until I know its not going to kill something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts