The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to find ways to reduce the noise from the return to my sump. I have been searching and reading posts for the last 4 days and trying different ideas to see if they would help. I have a standard AGA 75 reef-ready with the megaflow overflow kit. I started with the return going across the sump vs. straight down, I read this would reduce the noise. Then, I cut the hole bigger in the top of the durso, (I think I drilled it too big, because I then had to put a tube down the hole to reduce the noise.) I also added a T with a pipe going up about 5" and capped it and drilled a hole in the cap. While this has reduced the noise significantly, it is still very loud and puts a ton of bubbles in the sump. I have it draining right by the pump for my skimmer. I could reverse the whole thing and have it draining straight down? Any and all help appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, The return pump is an Eheim 1260, about 600 gph (not sure how much at head ~ 5'). The return pump is silent, and the skimmer is also pretty quiet. it's just the water returning to the sump.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
your water level in the sump is way to high. you need to get that down or the sump will overflow if the power goes out. :(

can you lower the durso section of the overflow. the downward facing pipe hook should be a lot lower in the overflow.

G~

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geoff, It's just sticking up because I had to stop it because it's just too noisy to run. Same reason for the water level, I turned off the pump before I pulled up the durso. I just included the pictures to see if anyone could see something I might be able to change.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Just to confirm that pic is with the return off? Making sure so you don't have a flood.

So what noise are you talking about? Are you having a splash and water noise from the sump or a gurgling from the standpipe? And your going to have micro-bubbles from the drain line, you mixing air and water as it falls from the tank to the sump...

Start out with that question and we'll see where to point ya;)

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
You could change the drain line at the sump. Make it so the pipe sets horizontal with the water surface in the sump, half submerged. This piece should be as long as you have room for. It will prevent the gurgling and allow air to escape before it can make noise.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe there isn't something I can try? I didn't think RR tanks were that unusual and I can't believe everyone is living w/ that kind of noise. The Eheim return pump and the Octopus skimmer pump are virtually silent, the 2 Koralia's are silent, but the sound of the return is like a really loud, constant flush and If I run the skimmer, too, it only takes about 5 minutes before everything in the tank and sump are totally white from the bubbles. I searched a lot of threads and I don't think I can do some of the mods because I can't drill the tank. I'm also not too handy, so I thought there might be some common solutions?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I can't believe there isn't something I can try? I didn't think RR tanks were that unusual and I can't believe everyone is living w/ that kind of noise. The Eheim return pump and the Octopus skimmer pump are virtually silent, the 2 Koralia's are silent, but the sound of the return is like a really loud, constant flush and If I run the skimmer, too, it only takes about 5 minutes before everything in the tank and sump are totally white from the bubbles. I searched a lot of threads and I don't think I can do some of the mods because I can't drill the tank. I'm also not too handy, so I thought there might be some common solutions?
If you read my post I'll be happy to help;) But noise in and of itself doesn't tell me where to start for your problem:lol:

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote the above response before the questions. I am talking about the noise of the water going from the return in to the sump. I tried running the return pipe horizontal, but I still don't understand half submerged, even after reading about it a bunch of times in searches. Does half submerged mean just have some of the return sticking out at the end? I tried that, it didn't change anything. Also, I could only do it holding the hose, I don't have a way to permanantly attach the hose that low in the sump. I could go out and buy the plumbing and do it all with PVC if I get a concensus that would work?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
The horizontal pipe should be rights at water level in that portion of the sump. The bottom half of this section should be under the water line running paralell to the water line. Does that make sense? I would do it in PVC. Let me get to my other computer and ILL post a shot of the drain for my unerway 150.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's very little noise in the overflow, it's certainly not enough to be an issue. I don't understand how the Herbie mod would work in the space for the reef ready tank. It doesn't make sense to me in the pictures I've seen. it looks like you drill another hole for another return line? Or use the hole already there going back to the tank and find some other way to get the water back? Just not clear after reading a lot of threads on that.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I wrote the above response before the questions. I am talking about the noise of the water going from the return in to the sump. I tried running the return pipe horizontal, but I still don't understand half submerged, even after reading about it a bunch of times in searches. Does half submerged mean just have some of the return sticking out at the end? I tried that, it didn't change anything. Also, I could only do it holding the hose, I don't have a way to permanantly attach the hose that low in the sump. I could go out and buy the plumbing and do it all with PVC if I get a concensus that would work?
That helps more than the post above! You essentially decribbed two different problems with the water from the sump, then touched on the drilling a hole bigger which is to quiet a gurgling standpipe;)

I would get rid of that flex pipe and plumb the rest with pvc. I would do what you can to slow the water down by what motor said so that it's not just plunking into the sump. Putting a 90 on the end 1/2 submerged or running it fully submerged with a T above the water will also help. You can also throttle that pump back quite a bit as keeping the 3-5 times the system volume through the sump per hour rule, that is only 225-375gph, rather than 600... I can tell you that you are pretty close to maxing out that megaflow. I barely have 600 gph on my 190.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your sump doesn't appear to have any type of bubble trap. Even if you find a way to make the overflow more silent, you will continue to have bubbles.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'll look for the shot, I was hoping not to have to buy and work with that much plumbing, but it's not useable the way it is. Hop, I typed my first reponse before I saw your note. I guess I've spent too many days on this and I'm getting frustrated. I started this October 13th and was hoping to start it cycling by Christmas, which it doesn't appear is going to happen. I know I keep hearing patience, but at the rate I'm going, it'll be Easter before I even get the cycle started. My wife and kids already hate this whole tank, (they love my 2 current smaller tanks.) I had no idea that it would be this hard to set up just a 75, 30 I have was nothing.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
here, maybe this will help. The pic sjowing the skimmer drain is probably the best, the portion with the holes is halfway below water level in that part of the sump. The second pic shows the drain from the water change tank/ skimmer loop and it is set the same way. They allow air to escape preventing some of the bubble from going below the surface and they help discpate the noise/
The Herbie mod requires a backup drain line in the event thae main slows down. If your return comes throught the overflow tower its easily done, but you would have to run a new return top the tank. I have two 1" drains in my 150 and am using the two 1/2" returns lines as back ups and am going to make new returns that dont run through the overflow.

Attachments

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Thanks, I'll look for the shot, I was hoping not to have to buy and work with that much plumbing, but it's not useable the way it is. Hop, I typed my first reponse before I saw your note. I guess I've spent too many days on this and I'm getting frustrated. I started this October 13th and was hoping to start it cycling by Christmas, which it doesn't appear is going to happen. I know I keep hearing patience, but at the rate I'm going, it'll be Easter before I even get the cycle started. My wife and kids already hate this whole tank, (they love my 2 current smaller tanks.) I had no idea that it would be this hard to set up just a 75, 30 I have was nothing.
It will come and after you get this plumbed and working you will have a good idea on reef plumbing water dynamics:D Sometimes it's hard for me to type what I'm trying to say, but I know what I would do:lol: If the tank is not running yet, I would definitely get some baffles cut and installed so that you can control the microbubble issue your going to have down the road.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pump wouldn't be 600 at 5', right? I thought it would be around 350 -400, max. Do I need to put a ball valve(?) on it to slow it down? I mentioned the hoe in the Durso because a bunch of people said that thenoise at the bottom on the return would be reduced by drilling a bigger hole at the top of the durso. It was never a gurgling problem in the durso until i drilled the hole, but it's not that loud, I can live with that.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bogey, in a lot of posts here people said that you didn't necessarily need the baffles if you had a longer sump. I've seen sumps made with rubbermaid containers and no baffles, along with other design w/o baffles, but it doesn't look like that is going to work here, but I don't know why. I wanted to try it because the sumps that would fit the Octopus skimmer are so expensive (rivaling the cost of lighting.) It appears that the whole sump thing with all the baffles and stuff is an absolute necessity, which might be the final axe in this whole project. If I spend another $500 and take the whole thing down again for a new sump my wife and kids will move out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts