The Reef Tank banner
840 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  skeety 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I need a little help with a couple issues...

1 - My PH has been dropping to 7.75 at night - raising to 8.05 w/the lights on. How can I get my PH up & get it to stay up?

2 - I'd like to find a couple/few tank mates that will turn/clean the sand bed. Reef safe suggestions?

1 - Perc
3 - Green chromies
2 - Peppermint shrimp - may be camelback - they took care of the apstasia - killed my acan lords.
5 - Turbos
1 - Watchman goby
2 - Torchus snails
Corals - green milli acro, bali tricolor acro , an unknown tricolor acro, Pavona, Pink montipora digitata, and some zoanthids

Thanks,
Dave

#3 ·
for sand stirring, try a few nassarius snails, a safe conch, or a sifter goby (might not go well with your watchman) stars work great but eat everything in the sand bed. so i dont like em.

#4 ·
I use Proper PH to get 8.2, but the ph will actually change according to the time of day, lights on or off and I also seen ph go up during winter time if you have a heater on (this may not be the cause now but you get the point). Always check ph at the same time so it is constant. For the sand I could not tell you since I don't have any.

#8 ·
leveldrummer said:
for sand stirring, try a few nassarius snails, a safe conch, or a sifter goby (might not go well with your watchman) stars work great but eat everything in the sand bed. so i dont like em.
I stoped at the best LFS in town, which is an hour drive each way, Ed at Ocean Devotion spent an hour with me on the 2 issues....

For the PH issue - he determined it was an alk problem. I will start dosing Seachem Reef builder to rais the alk. I'm already using Kalk in my top off water.

For the sand sifting issue - he didnt recommend the snails or the crabs - since I have sand bed (vs a CC bed). To keep the watchman company - I went with a pistol shrimp. To sift the bed - I went with a Diamindside Goby. We are hoping that the combo will deter the watchman from picking on the diamonside.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.