The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

Haven't been here awhile. Too many hobbies and since I'm unemployed at the moment, haven't been doing my noon reef tank surfing.

One of my bubble tip anemonies split and unbeknownest to me, it crawled up next to my green open brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi?)and attacked it. My 9" tank centerpiece is now pale and schrivelled up to about 5" and 2 of the 12 skeletons are bare with rotting flesh around them. I have moved it away from the anemonie and am using the turkey baster on it. Is there any hope for this coral? Anything else I can do? If there is no hope at all, I'll just remove it from the tank to keep my water quality up.

:(

Thanks,

Bill

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
I'd cling to hope, feed it, and keep the anemones away from it.

I had a maze brain that I'd pretty much given up for dead. The tissue was almost completely gone, and it had been going downhill slowly for a long time. I had a friend take it in, as there was a minute but real chance it could come back. Lo and behold, a couple of months later, it's definitely coming back.

I guess my thoughts would be to not give up, and it might recover. If there is still 5" of tissue, surely there's something there to save!

Just my 2c,
Danielle

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Danielle,

I've had my maze brain recover twice from being stung. (I started out with a green and purple bubble tip. The green splits at about 4" so I have 4 now and the purple just grows.) The maze is a completely different animal from the Trachyphyllia geoffroyi so I don't know if it applies. Thanks for responding.

Bill

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Can you aim a powerhead right at it and annoy it out? I've heard of others using a similar technique, although I've never had to try it myself.

Good luck,
Danielle

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danielle,

Glad you convinced me to hang on a little longer. The brain still doesn't look good but the rotting has stopped and it should recover!

:dance:

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts