The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i did my first WC and since im a newb lol im short around a quart of half gal of saltwater.
now heres is my question. i was wondering if i can mix sum water of the water i need to top off the tank within around 3-4 hours? i have a pump and heater in a bucket with the water right now and i know i messed up but i wanna fill the tank tonight.
is this a bad idea? i already chaged around 20% of the water now

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
What is your salinity if it is high a ro-di top off would be fine.. I don't mix my own salt water so I'm not sure on the specs on that part.. But I believe your sopost to wait 24 hours after mixing..

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I make my new salt water up just before using it. As long as the pH, salinity and temperature are close its fine to use right away. There is a long discussion here on TRT about waiting 24 hours but the data collected was inconclusive and did not prove out the 24 hour theory that the pH is unstable.
I've been keeping saltwater for over 30 years and reefs only for about 25 and never had a problem when mixing my water shortly before using it as long as I adjust the temp, pH and salinity to closely approximate the display.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 12g nano cube and my sg is around 1.023 and 1.024 give or take and the temp i have on my tank is 80 f and the water is around 79-80 degrees. but wats the biggest problem if i dont wait the full 24 hours of for a quart of saltwater mix?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I make my new salt water up just before using it. As long as the pH, salinity and temperature are close its fine to use right away. There is a long discussion here on TRT about waiting 24 hours but the data collected was inconclusive and did not prove out the 24 hour theory that the pH is unstable.
I've been keeping saltwater for over 30 years and reefs only for about 25 and never had a problem when mixing my water shortly before using it as long as I adjust the temp, pH and salinity to closely approximate the display.
+1

Is there a problem running your system 1 quart low for an additional 12 hrs (till in the morning) while it mixes?

If it is strictly the level of the water, I have heard of others displacing the water by placing a sealed clean jug of water in the tank to actually raise the water level.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the half gallon or so has been mixing for about 2 1/2 hours so u think just check my ph,sg and temp and that should b ok?

·
Registered
262 Posts
... but wats the biggest problem if i dont wait the full 24 hours of for a quart of saltwater mix?
Zombies will break into your house and eat you. Don't believe me...? It's your brain man, whatever. Watch a movie or read a comic book - this stuff happens.

When salt and water mixes, there are a LOT of chemical reactions taking place. Take a bit of your marine salt and put it on a plate or a shallow dish. poor a bit of water in and feel the mixture - it gets pretty hot. It's my guess that the manufacturers put this warning on the label so some MUHron doesn't pour a slurry of wet salt-mix into the tank, fry their fish, then sue the manufacturer for not being fully informed.

However, there's a thread where this debate took place. After a few pages of "[checked the water an hour later and the parameters are still the same]," it was unofficially concluded that after a couple hours, there is no significant change to the water parameters that would be cause to NOT put it in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good one kris. well its 9:50 here in chicago now so i think ill wait till around 11 give it another hour or so and ill check the sg,ph,and temp and if its all good then i guess it wouldnt hurt right? well i hope lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts