The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my pump. It is my return. It is a pcx-30 and it won't pump water. In fact it seems to be pumping it backwards. It will pump the water into the sump and then when the locline is out of the water it just stops. No bubbles or anything. Is it possible that the pump could be going backwards. Normaly the screw on the end pulls water and the one on the top pumps the water. I have the exact same pump on a closed loop that pumps that way. Thanks in advance for the help.

AJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't wire it myself. It is all prewired. I bought it used, so I don't know what was done with it before me. We are currently moving, so my camera is in a box somewere, but I can explain how it is plumbed.

The pump intake is connected directly to a bulkhead in my sump. Then the output is 3/4"pvc - 1" elbow. At that point it hooks to a 1" union and 1" spaflex. The Spaflex hooks to another elbow and then goes back to standard Sch 40. The Sch40 goes up the back of the tank into a "T". The "T" has 1" in and two 3/4" out. The two 3/4" sch40 pipes go up and into the two bulkheads at the back of my tank. Right before the bulkhead hookup there are ball valves.

What is kind of interesting is, if I open the ball valve on the back it doesn't back syphon. Is it possible something is stuck in the pump. Yet if you plug it in it pumps water backwards. I am so confused.

Thanks for the replies any more thoughts or ideas would be great.

AJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just took it apart and it seems fine. ev erything looks good. I even pluged it in and it is sucking from the front and pushing out the top. So it seems that the pump is ok, but when I had it plumbed it looked like it pushed some water out into the sump and then nothing. :cry:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, something weird is going on. I am going to try and hook it to a internal pump that I know works and if the water still won't come out then I know I have a plug. The problem is I am going on vacation tommarow and don't think I have the time to fix it until after I get back. So in a week I will try to fix it and get back to the thread. Thanks for the help everyone and I will keep you updated.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
if you're going on vacation tomorrow...DON'T TOUCH IT! Don't hook it up!

Made that mistake once. hooked up a new piece of equip right before leaving. Came back to a mess! Definitely want to be around the first few days the thing is running!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I made the decision to let it be. I will keep the closed loop running and leave the return off. All I have is LR in there so it should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts