The Reef Tank banner

Help... Please .....

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Jen's&Gil'sgoneReef 
#1 ·
:help:I woke up this morinig to find my Ritteri in my pump :eek:
I then found my firefish dead :bawling::bawling:
I took my Ritteri out and put in in a bucket fraked out a little then scooped out my firefish and started a 20 % water change.
I looked in the bucket and saw that my rittier was trying to eat the dead firefish. So I was thinking mabye my ritteri is still ALIVE!!!

i PUT HIM BACK IN THE TANK AND MY CLOWNS ARE HOSTING IN HIM AND HE STARTED TO EAT A SLIVERSIDE.

What do i do ?? Do I keep him in the tank and watch him or is he just going to die anyways ???

Water parms are perfect !! but when I woke up my Ammonia is 0.50 due to the stressful death my firefish had did a water change

I'll attach a before and after tramua photo.

I'm very very sad I have had him 2 weeks now and I now its early in my tank to have one but he was doing Great !! I really was taking good care of him. But of course tonight had to be the night he moved to a high rock and my pump fell off the tank right on top of him..:angry:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/jenemt13/075.jpg
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/jenemt13/?action=view&current=074.jpg

BEFORE :
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/jenemt13/?action=view&current=064.jpg

See less See more
#12 ·

IMO its still way to young of a tank for a nem of this difficulty level, or arguably any. With that being said from here on out slow down.
What is the status of your nem and your current Ammonia level?
Looks like it could pull through from the pic, but you can never tell.
If yor still having water quality issues do additional waterchanges, skimm wet, and add carbon as needed.

#13 ·
It looks a lot better ... It has stopped losing dead pieces and is almost fully open . He eat yesterday . My water is fine now no ammonia no nitates ect. i THINK my ammonia was due to the poor stressful death my firefish suffered from flying anomeme pieces.
Mag is good Cal. 450 . I'm also running carbon. He moved to the back of my tank right at the water line ( on the glass)
I have been supplementing Iodine everyday and doing 10 hours under the MH.

I understand that my tank is to new!! But I got talked into it by being told that is " only hard to care for when you don't have good water and poor lighting"

So I have good lighting and water .... Just strong powerhead intakes LOL :)

#14 ·
Iodine every day? Do you test for it, or have a huge bioload that would consume it? I use 2 drops/ week of Lugoils solution.

LFS's like that either dont know better or are just trying to sell you something. Either way its unehtical business practice so dont listen to a word they say.

#15 ·
Iodine every day? Do you test for it, or have a huge bioload that would consume it? I use 2 drops/ week of Lugoils solution.

LFS's like that either dont know better or are just trying to sell you something. Either way its unehtical business practice so dont listen to a word they say.
I don't test for it .... am I putting in to much ? what is lugoils solution

#16 ·
How much Iodine are you adding every day? If you add to much, algae will start growing very quick. When I have ill or weak animals, I'll add Kent Marine Tech-1 Iodine/Iodide supplement. It's like a dollar an ounce or less at my LFS. If my critters are healthy, I don't add it at all.

#18 ·
I'm sooooooo sorry, but I'm not going to lead you on like the LFS did. They are very very very hard to care for with good water and lighting. They are impossible to care for without it. In my opinion H. Mag and Stichodactyla Gigantea are the two most difficult inverts to keep alive. I have kept most of the host anemone species. Right now I have two very healthy LTA's and about a 16" carpet anemone. I worry about the new H. Mag every day. Even with the experience I have, the odds are that my anemone will die. They are simply that difficult to keep alive. I truly wish I could tell you that Iodine or some other treatment would save your anemone. Unfortunately there isn't really anything you can do at this point. This is a very harsh lesson we all have to learn in the beginning. Don't trust the LFS.

Again, I'm sorry you're going through this. I promise the hobby gets better.

#19 ·
Thanks... So what do I do just wait for it to die? It's really awful I WANT to get it alive and I spend an hour a day making sure everything is as perfect as possible.

WHAT do you do to keep them alive? How old should your tank be and why do you think that yours will die . Do they really have short lives in captivity?

when will you feel like your OUT OF THE WOODS.

Thanks for being supportive instead of MEAN like some people can be.. because I'm learning and I'm trying to be responsible and not fill out up my tank and have tons of things die. I TOO have spent every night worrying about MY anenome and check it when I get up in the night. I really do believe that if some thing is going to be ripped out of its home ( ocean) I want to do what I can to keep it alive.
Thanks again.

#21 ·
Thanks again !! I just worry about my wild caught true percs that as SO SO happy with there H.Mag. I will read up on Condylactis, and any other suggestions on something a little more hardy to try ? I love carpets but I will not make the same mistake twice and will wait a long time before I try one.

I really wish you the best of luck with your H.mag Please keep me posted on its progress and again thanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.