The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "have" a 125 gal w/120 LR. The tank was recently moved from an office to a residence. The whole thing was thriving pretty well. After the move I underwent a major red slime outbreak. It was pretty bad - about 90% of all rocks and sand was covered in that thing. I've been meticulously brushing it off the LR and siphoning it out. With great relief I can say now this problem has been resolved.

What bothers me is that I can see in the tank atleast 20 Aiptasias. I cannot mechanically remove them because they hide in unreachable spots if I try to scrub them off. I was reading abouth methods to tackle this problem and I was wondering should I go with a chemical approach or let nature take care of it.

Has anyone have been successful with peppermint shrimp eleminating the Aiptasia? I'd rather do that (if it works) than using chemicals such as Joes Juce or Kalk paste. I already have 2 cleaner shimps. Would they get along w/a peppermint?

Any input is appreciated...

Thank you in advance fellow reefers.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ive had a pair of pepps eat a few small aptaisia that came in with a rock once, i dont think they eat mature aptaisia, joes juice is just fine, if you can get to them. but the pepps should get along with the cleaners just fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have some grown up aiptasias. They on the back under some big rocks. I cant get there w/Joes Juice. I guess they wont sting anything unless they decide to move.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
274 Posts
i think that you should get a predator to take them out since you cant do anything else but i wouldnt know what to get them with, sorry i wish i knew

and welcome to TRT!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had a nightmarish outbreak of aiptasia recently, and tried the peppermints, as well as injection of a kalkwasser slurry. The peppermints were a total bust (never ate a single aiptasia, then committed suicide in the overflow), and the kalkwasser is just a stopgap. Finally I broke down and ordered berghias, which have been a wonderful, though slow, solution. They are guaranteed to eat the aiptasia, and even the juveniles I bought eat up to medium-sized aiptasia. I highly recommend them.

They've already laid eggs, so I should have some available in a couple of months. If you still have the problem then, let me know.

-Jeanie

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
supersmallfeet said:
I have had a nightmarish outbreak of aiptasia recently, and tried the peppermints, as well as injection of a kalkwasser slurry. The peppermints were a total bust (never ate a single aiptasia, then committed suicide in the overflow), and the kalkwasser is just a stopgap. Finally I broke down and ordered berghias, which have been a wonderful, though slow, solution. They are guaranteed to eat the aiptasia, and even the juveniles I bought eat up to medium-sized aiptasia. I highly recommend them.

They've already laid eggs, so I should have some available in a couple of months. If you still have the problem then, let me know.

-Jeanie
Put me on the list! where did you get them from?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the berghias from www.coralsandbar.com - the guy lives on the south side of town in Locust Grove, if that's not too far for you.

Like I said, the ones I got were juveniles, which is really quite tiny looking (maybe 12 mm long, 1-2 mm wide), but they laid eggs within a week, so I was pretty happy. They are sorta pricey to start, but after my experiences trying other methods, I was just happy that these worked so well.

-Jeanie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kappaknight said:
If you get peppermints, get like 2-4. They seem to work better in groups.
I'm inclined toward the peppermints so far.

I already have two cleaner shrimp. If I get 2 peppermints in addition - wouldnt that be too much shrimp?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Question

Will the berghia's survive in a high flow tank? I remember when I got them once, but with the high flow, they never could land on the aiptasia. They always ended up half alive in my sump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
phishschtick said:
Will the berghia's survive in a high flow tank? I remember when I got them once, but with the high flow, they never could land on the aiptasia. They always ended up half alive in my sump.
This is true, they like a low flow or no flow at all. What I've seen people do is put them in a cup suspended at the top of the aquarium, feeding them small rocks with aiptasia on them. My rocks are too big for that, so I detached my fuge from the main tank, and I put one rock at a time in the fuge until clean. There is just no flow at all in there now, and that seems to be what they like. I do water changes to keep up quality, but otherwise just leave it totally alone.

I agree with the comment that the peppermints are more interesting to look at. Maybe if I'd gotten more at a time - I've heard of people getting groups of 4-5 and having more success, but after the overflow suicides, the berghias were best for my setup.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if you get pepps, make sure they are peppermints, lots of places misidentify camel shrimp as peppermints, and camels wont touch the stuff.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've gotten a pep and he seems to be working a lot slower than I expected, but he's doing it so I can't complain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
leveldrummer said:
if you get pepps, make sure they are peppermints, lots of places misidentify camel shrimp as peppermints, and camels wont touch the stuff.
what should i be lookin for?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Nikko said:
what should i be lookin for?
your gonna have to ask someone who knows better, but its something about the mouth, i believe the camels have a triangular point at the front of their face, and the peps dont, and they do look a little different other than that. so look at lots of pictures before you go get one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We got 3 peppermint from marine and tropical fish, we had over 50 aiptasia, for a while we didnt think the shrimp were doing anything, then a couple weeks later, seemingly over night every single anemone vanished...it was probably about 3 days, I just seemed really fast

pretty cool... not all the shrimp would go for it, I would get a few to try and speed things up, they are very cool to watch at night...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts