The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I know this is my first post. I'm a newbie to all your standards I'm sure. I recently had a nitrate problem in my reef tank that I was going to post about, but now that is on the back burner for now. Tonight, I was feeding my tanks when my wife noticed that the bubbles in my 225g tank were not acting like normal bubbles. So I went to the tank and just what I thought. . . .I now have a gazzillion baby Crosshatch Trigger fish. I have no idea what to feed them. I can't even find any information posted online about any one breeding them. I tried to catch the majority of them and moved them to two small tanks with bubblers, water and a heater and nothing else. If they are like fresh water Angel babies they will need a sterile environment with not much water flow plus a lot of water changes until they get big enough to go into a bigger tank. This is all knowledge I'm using based on freshwater fish. If anyone has any ideas on how to raise them or knows, please help. My biggest problem right now is that I have no idea what to feed something so small. They are about the same size if not a bit smaller then a copapod but you can definately see that they are fish, plus millions of copapods dont try and swim all through the water column. Again, any advice will help.

Thank you.

V/R
Levi

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey I did some research on wetweb and the crosshatch triggers do not have live young. They lay their eggs in a hole in the sand and then the male guards them. So, now I wonder what you have in your tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I started with a female crosshatch that's arround 8-9inches in length and about three weeks later I added the male which is just a bit bigger then her. I've done a bit of research since last night. I'm not sure if all triggers do this but the one's that people actually talk about are clown triggers and they say they make a nest and the female lay's eggs in it and after she's done the male protects the nest. After that the information on triggers breeding seems to come to a hault. These little buggers just showed up in my water all over every where. So I'm figureing that I just missed the nest some where, the male seems fairly territorial as it is so I just passed it off as typical behavior. The babies are now confined to two small 2: 2 1/2 gallon tanks until I can get my 30 gallon up and running. It would seem as though I'm now in need of a good sponge filter and some rotifers. Any of you fine LFS's have any of that stuff and anything else I may need to keep things healthy in their new home?

Thanks for the help.
V/R
Levi

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, BTW the Crosshatches are the only pair of fish in the tank. Others are BIG Puffer, Large Volitan Lion fish, Blue line Grouper and a Sunset Wrasse.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Dr. Ben, you couldn't just say pregnant!!!! Troy & I had to break out the dictionary. To make it worse we had to use the dictionary to spell dictionary & he's going to school to be a teacher.lol ********* On a serious note we have baby brine or cyclopeze******

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
sea devil said:
Dr. Ben, you couldn't just say pregnant!!!! Troy & I had to break out the dictionary. To make it worse we had to use the dictionary to spell dictionary & he's going to school to be a teacher.lol
haha. Levi, you should post this topic in the main forums also where it will be seen by the entire TRT crew. This forum is only accessible to nfmas members. here is a link to the breeding and raising forum http://thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186

and a link to the General Reef Discussion Forum
http://thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer your question Ben, I suppose the answer would be yes. I've seen the two laying with each other side by side in my rocks and swimming with each other though not all the time. I just never really saw this nest that seems to be spoken of in trigger fish, though there are several areas in the tank I just can't see. The tank is a 225 gallon tank w/ 300 wet/dry, mag drive 1800, skimmer, ozone & ORP meter, sterilizer, chiller, 1500 SEIO for some current.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh, well not that lucky. . .the little buggers are so small. I could see a tail and two eye's moving on them but I took them to Brian at Fish Maniac, he say's they are a type of amphipod or something. Last night I wished I had a microscope so I could look at them before I did anything else but I don't so I planned for worst case senario. He thinks I had some large clutch hatch off and exploded into the water column. Oh well, was a cool thought. Of course it was my first posting as well so now I look like an idiot:doh: . Well hopefully my future postings will not be so. . . .eh. . .dramatic? Anyway, thanks for all your help. Sorry it didnt turn out to be something as cool as having a bunch of triggers running around :).

V/R
Levi

·
Rob's Reef Owner
395 Posts
We're having a special on Baby Crosshatch Triggers. I gotta siphon off my glass, or you can get the Hikari Frozen Baby Crosshatch triggers in 3.5oz and flat-packs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts