The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
Can anyone recomend a good ph buffer!
just added some crushed oyster shell to my sand base someone told me that should help hold the ph. When actually it lowered it to 7.8. now reading 8.
just curious as to what others think is a good brand of ph up or other buffers.
thanks in advance!

anthony

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Your pH is fine... No need to adjust it.

Out of curiosity though; where are your calcium and alk levels?

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
This time of year it is very common for your pH to be a bit low. It has more to do with the closed up house and lower oxygen levels. As long as it is stable, I would not start adding buffer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
calcium and alk levels good
phosphate a little high but nothing crazy
everything seems to be doing fine i was just worried.
that makes sense about the oxygen levels and house conditions.
thanks again i will keep monitering

·
Registered
773 Posts
Advice I have been given is to ensure stability over chasing a higher number.. If you can achieve a higher number and remain stable, then excellent. If you can remain stable at 8.0, then excellent TOO!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use aquavitro 8.4
works for me, took a couple weeks of hovering around 7.9-8.0 but it came up and has stabilized at 8.3

·
Administrator
47,479 Posts
First of all how are you measuring your pH, are you using a dye dropper test kit or a quality pH probe?
Secondly at what point in the day or night are you testing pH?
Dye drops or dip strips are notoriously innacurate, as opposed to a decent pH meter, in my experience they are about like using a swing arm hydrometer as opposed to getting a decent refractometer to measure specific gravity. I think both a decent pH meter and refractometer are mandatory tools, because A; they are more accurate than cheapo tests, and B; sg, pH, is aligned with accurate calcium, and buffer, ie alk, DHK levels
pH will be at it's ighest at midday in a healthy tank and drop overnight, unless you have a large refugium/algae sump that is on an opposite lighting schedule, day levels 8 or better are OK for the most part, nightime pH down to 7.8 is not that uncommon, if the day time levels are below 8.0 measured accurately look to ventalating the tank area, or recalibrating your test regimen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts