The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally put water in the tank and turned on the pump; it's a thing of beauty. I am so impressed with the fact that I did all on my own (almost). The problem only lies in the drain tubing. Here's what I have so far:

The problem I am having is that the right side overflow (left as we're looking at it) is draining for a minute or two and then burping huge bubbles into the sump. This thing is LOUD! The other one is straight down into the sump and is working beautifully, but I think the angle of the drain pipe is what's killing it. The actual drain is made up of a modified Durso; I have tried the Stockman style, but it doesn't seem to help. Here's a better pic of the drains:

I need to get this thing fixed or it's not going to make it into the house :( Please ask me some questions and hopefully we can some up with something. :beer:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Can you show us a picture of your Stand pipe?
There is a chance that you are providing too much air to the stand pipe or not enough air.

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure, as soon as I can find more stupid camera batteries!!

FWIW - I just went out and turned the outlet pipe almost vertical and it brought the water level down in the overflow level almost 2 inches (about where is should be). It still burps real bad, but I think it has something to do with the angle of the drain going into the sump. You can hear it gurgling about half-way down the pipe. I'm going to get more pics later on, but I', also going to peruse the member section for some more ideas.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
BGJ223 said:
Can you show us a picture of your Stand pipe?
There is a chance that you are providing too much air to the stand pipe or not enough air.
Off topic I know but I just wanted to say that I love your Avatar BGJ223!

YWG's are my favorite. I just wish mine was a little smarter....He paired with a mushroom. :funny:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ya need pics of the stand pipe but it sound like you need to put some HD gutter guard in the stand pipe to help control the "burp".

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ReefNeck said:
Off topic I know but I just wanted to say that I love your Avatar BGJ223!

YWG's are my favorite. I just wish mine was a little smarter....He paired with a mushroom. :funny:
I am a huge fan of the YWG's also, I think they are great. Pretty funny that yours paired with a mushroom.

If you are getting alot of burping and gurgling from your stand pipe, then the odds are that the air water mix ratio is off. What happens when you restrict the air more in the overflow? Does it gurgle more or less?
Also does the water constantly go up and down in the overflow?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Air hole not big enough. Also something else you can do is to place a "T" in the drain just above the water line. Add a length of pipe so is has a good vertical rise. This will act as an escape for traped air before it gets to the sump and burps.

Robert

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I think I have figured out what the problem is. I have to figure out how to 'dial-in' my Stockman standpipe. If I remove the vent cap and put my finger in the drain, the gurgling stops and the tank goes silent; yet the flow doesn't change. I have been searching for the remedy, but haven't run across it yet. The biggest problem I'm having is knowing how large the holes need to be on the standpipe. Right now i've got 2 squares about 1" x 2" on each side of the standpipe and a 1/8" hole in the vent cap. Water flows in well, but it gurgles real bad and it sends lots of bubbles into the sump.

We'll see; I need to find the remedy very shortly or it's going to hold up my tank transfer :(

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
You can make it quieter but the bubbles will always be there. There is a fix using a small valve, I think a guest fiutting, to adjust the air flow. PM Geoff or Tdwyatt (Tom) as I think they know exactly the parts. Also the addition of a "vent" as I talked about above will help with the bubbles in the sump.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Something else you do for the bubble issue, where the drain hits the water level in the sump, T off and add a bushing to increase the pipe diameter. Say from 3/4" to 1 1/2". You want the pipe to run paralell with the water line and the water line to be right in the middle of the pipe. When the drain water hits the larger pipe it will slow down and the air gap in the larger pipe (running horizontal) will allow bubbles to escape so you have less in the sump.

Robert

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
saltwater_wannabe said:
Well, I think I have figured out what the problem is. I have to figure out how to 'dial-in' my Stockman standpipe. If I remove the vent cap and put my finger in the drain, the gurgling stops and the tank goes silent; yet the flow doesn't change. I have been searching for the remedy, but haven't run across it yet. The biggest problem I'm having is knowing how large the holes need to be on the standpipe. Right now i've got 2 squares about 1" x 2" on each side of the standpipe and a 1/8" hole in the vent cap. Water flows in well, but it gurgles real bad and it sends lots of bubbles into the sump.

We'll see; I need to find the remedy very shortly or it's going to hold up my tank transfer :(
An easy way to dial in the air flow through the stockman is to drill a hole through the cap and the PVC on the side. This way you can turn the cap from all the way open or cover it up partially.

You could also attach air tubing with a ball valve to the hole, this will help to regulate how much air can be sucked in.

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem I'm having with the Stockman is that I'm not sure how big the square holes should be and I'm not completely sure how far below the water line the holes should be.

Should the Stockman act as a 'semi-siphon'? I think I have the holes too big which just lets the water fall into the pipe, instead of the pipe pulling the water into it. Does that make any sense?

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
motorslave said:
Do you have a hole in the top of the stockman?

Robert
Yeah, I do. I actually have about 4 PVC caps with different sized holes in them. I've been reading up this morning and it seems that I may have built the Stockman wrong; I think the holes in the standpipe should be about 1" square. I think mine are too large so I'm unable to dial them in correctly. We'll see; I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

The funnier part is that I'm only having trouble with one of my overflows; the other one's doing great. Of course the problem child has a much longer drain pipe, but that's another variable I have to solve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this same issue. Happened when i changed out my pumps. This all sounds pretty techincal to dumb me but all i did was install a ball valve in my drain pipe to the sump. then slowly close it until there is a constant level in the over flow. You get the same flow rate but it's just steady instead of "flushing" every 5-10 seconds. Worked for me...pretty simple

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
buoymarker28 said:
I had this same issue. Happened when i changed out my pumps. This all sounds pretty techincal to dumb me but all i did was install a ball valve in my drain pipe to the sump. then slowly close it until there is a constant level in the over flow. You get the same flow rate but it's just steady instead of "flushing" every 5-10 seconds. Worked for me...pretty simple
I may try that; I'm just worried that it will plug up at some point and I'll end up with a mess on the floor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah that's true.

Do you have some pre filter media in the drop? I use your basic foam that isn't that fine to keep the big stuff from going down the drain.

Also, you might be surprised how little you have to close that ball valve.. basically all you're doing is restricting the drain to an even stream...kinda like when you take one of those big 5 gal water jugs and instead of turning it over all the way you make the water come out slower and not gurgling.

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay, I have been monkeying with this thing all afternoon and I have not fixed any of my gurgling noises. I have moved, shifted, rerouted my drain, but I can still hear alot of water and air gurgling down through the pipe and into the sump. I have tweaked the air going into the Durso a thousand times and either I get a complete siphon, or it the gurgling gets worse. The one thing I did notice is that I have built my Dursos from 1" Sch40 PVC where Durso recommends 1 1/4" Sch26 PVC. I doubt the Sch makes a huge difference, but I wonder if the size will. I might head over to the hardware store and scrounge up some more parts.

Wish me luck! ( I need some sanity, too). :(

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
buoymarker28 said:
This is a common method but best to have a second drain set higher than the level in the overflow in case the active drain blocks. All it takes is once to cause a big problem!

Do you have a hole in th3e top of the stockman?

Robert

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
motorslave said:
Do you have a hole in th3e top of the stockman?

Robert
I did, but I have changed it to a hole in the side of the standpipe and cap so that I can turn the cap to adjust the flow. I need to figure out what to do because I'm about at my wit's end. The only thing I'm really combatting is the fact that one of my drains is much longer than the other and it's pulling a huge siphon and a ton of air with it. I've tried moving the drain vertically, horizontally and every other way but I can't seem to slow the water down enough without closing the ball valve some (not a feasible option).

I have considered hard-plumbing my drains, but I can't seem to find a design that I like. Any tips?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts