The Reef Tank banner

Help...new tang in quarantine,but....

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Staci 
#1 ·
Ok so I bought my first online fish and just placed him in the qt tank yesterday. Problem is that I have ammonia (.50 ppm) in the qt tank. My mistake, but got about half of the bag water into the qt tank and didn't think to test it yesterday. So I did a small water change this morning and it's still the same this afternoon. I have several pieces of LR in the tank bc i felt like that would benefit keeping the water in shape. I don't know if this is going to be a constant battle trying to keep this one fish in the qt and not have to worry about ammonia spikes, etc. He's acting great, eating well and no signs of anything like parasites etc. I need any help I can get. Tried calling my Lfs and they refused to give me any advice on the subject at all bc I didn't get it from them. Thanks.

#2 ·
I would make up a bunch of water that you can use to do a sizable water change on your main tank, and replace about 10% of the quarentine tank several times. What I would shoot for is basically total replacing the Q tank water over a couple day period, slowly so as not to shock the fish. Which tang did you get?

#8 ·
I don't mind not putting the LR back into the main tank. They were kinda out of place to begin with and I wanted him to have algae to peck on while he is in quarantine. The guy was actually very rude to me. If I weren't so limited on Lfs in the area I would never go there again.

#12 ·
I thought about adding something like amquel but I wanted to try the water changes first since it's not very high at this point. I'm just not sure if it will keep going up or if it's from adding the water it came in. The rest of the tank water came from the main tank which has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.