The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten my new Blueline angel in quarantine and he has not eaten once, he approaches the food appears to smell it then swims away. I have thus far tried dried flake, nori, "formula" variety pack, squid, mussel/clams on the half shell, live brine shrimp and finally live bloodworms. I also tried pressing food in the coral trick.

His breathing is what I would consider normal and doesn't have any outward signs of problems. He is going on seven days now and I drip acclimated him over a three hour, I am getting worried. If anyone has any suggestions i'm open to them.

G

·
mysis works well at times...otherwise.... just keep offering him a mix...hopefully one of these days hell munch on it

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
what else is in the quarantine tank? just wondering if it is not "comfortable". are there enough rocks in there for it to hide behind to feel safe. it took almost 2 weeks for my Genicanthus to come out and eat. it looks like you are providing a good mix of food for it to try.

G~

·
Registered
399 Posts
First, i am glad to see you using a Q tank. Not enough people do. Second, i have had many fish that don't start eating for a week, even when I witnessed the feeding at the LFS. Keep feeding as you are and he will sart eating soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Limited eating

He has shown very limited interest in all offered foods, i've seen him peck 2-3's on seaweed select, just swims up to live brine and swims away, will eat some live tubiflex worms (but very little). It'll be 14 days come Wed., so it would seem to me that by now if has not been pecking at the live rock and algae he would be lethargic and wasting away. So, I have to believe that he's eating when I'm not watching, else he's making a slow decline?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know this may sound funny but soak some saeweed in garlic guice, or the same type you would as in treating for ICK. I've seen this actually work on a fish once.
worth a try anyway!

HOLA!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R.E. sponge, are you refering to Prime Reef and thank you for the help. I will try soaking the seaweed also.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Blueline...part of theri diet is sponge...live sponge. Tree sponge, ball sponge, sponge growing off the rocks. This means you will be purchasing and putting in the tank with the intent for the angel to nibble/eat.

We had one at the shop we had to put a live open brain for him to munch on. in addition to the sponge. He didn't killed it right away, he would eat a part of it, then leave it alone for awhile...re growth, and then eat a little more. Most angels need this kind of food. Not all, but most. That's why they are not reef safe...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts