The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water is very cloudy even when I'm have carbon in my sump, but couple days back I had Phos-zorb in there and my water was very clear no cloudiness at all , so my questions is ? should I start to run Phosban reactor ? or try to run carbon reactor ? ..... or ... anyone know what maybe happening in my tank, I checked my water and everything is good even run to my LFS and they tested it and everything was good...

Salinity 1.025
Phosphate 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
dKH 9-11
calcium 420
water temp. around 78
PH 8.0 - 8.2

doing water changes every week 10% and the tank is about 3-4months old

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I wonder if you are experiencing a bacterial bloom. I had the same thing happen in my 40 gallon FOWLR tank a while back. Everything was going great and then one day the water was very cloudy. All of the parameters were in check and the fish did not seem effected by it. It cleared up on its own, 2 days I think, before I was even ready to do a partial water change.

How long has it been cloudy for?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the tank has been cloudy after couple weeks (3) after everythign was running but then it cleared up when I put the phos-zorb in to the water , the water was really clear , never actually had it that way. but after I put that phos zorb in I started to have some red algea bloom .. so I took it out, now the red slime algea is slowly desapearing, but my water is cloudy again , and it has been like that for about 6-7 days ....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
well the tank has been cloudy after couple weeks (3) after everythign was running but then it cleared up when I put the phos-zorb in to the water , the water was really clear , never actually had it that way. but after I put that phos zorb in I started to have some red algea bloom .. so I took it out, now the red slime algea is slowly desapearing, but my water is cloudy again , and it has been like that for about 6-7 days ....

What changes have you made to the tank?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really changes did water change took out phos-zorb and that's baout it ... haven't changed a anything.

going to try if I can run UV at least for couple days and see what is going to happen ... otherwise I'm ready to do 20% water chnage tomorrow

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
not really changes did water change took out phos-zorb and that's baout it ... haven't changed a anything.

going to try if I can run UV at least for couple days and see what is going to happen ... otherwise I'm ready to do 20% water chnage tomorrow
I dont think the UV will do anything. I'd go for the water changes. Maybe 2 or three a week until it clears up. What kind of substrate is it? Sometimes if its real fine sand and you have a powerhead stirring it up, then that will lead to cloudiness

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree, sounds like an algae bloom. Do you run a UV? If you run the water slow enough through a UV, it will kill the algae and clear your water right up and keep it gone. But it sounds like your have something in your system that is adding nitrates or phosphates to the water. What are you feeding? How much? How often?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I'm feeding about twice a week live baby brine shrimp and about twice a week frozen mysid shrimp. I have only 2 clownfish and one blue tang (hippo) and I feed my gorgonian with the BBS.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
According to what I found there used to be some questions about whether this product was Marine safe. They found it to be Aluminum Oxide, so it is safe but gets used up more rapidly than Ferric Oxide. Apparently the longest it is good for may be 8 weeks.

Since your water was clear when you were running it and you have the UV, I would suggest running both for a while. Another option would be to get something like ChemiPure Elite that has Carbon, Ferric Oxide, and other compunds in it for chemical filtration of almost everything. You can run that in your Phosban reactor or leave it in the bag it comes in.

HTH

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I did not have UV at that time so what I'm going to try to do is run UV and do 20% water change tommorrow and see if its gonna do any good .. also running Carbon at the same time .....( mu sump is getting filled up with equipment) .. lol

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
BTW... if you have SPS, steer clear of the aluminum oxide (ie whitish phosphate media) use only Ferric Oxide (brown media for Phosphate media) if you have SPS. It sounds to me like a algae bloom as well, and running the Phos-zorb would indeed clear it up, as the algae would have no food to feed off of. UV would also help a bit if you circulated it through slow enogh, but the best solution would be to do a larger waterchange and lower your feeding/change your food that you are using. ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last night i added UV to my tank and this morning my water is about 80% clearer than it was yesterday, and I haven't done the water change yet, but since I have the water ready to go I'll change it anyway ....

just wanted to give you update ....

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allright .... my water is crystal clear, so I think I'm going to leave the UV on from now on ... also question... I want to get some fast growing zoos ... anyone can help me which ones to get ?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
anything Brown grows quickly..LOL but they aren't desireable. I have fairly quick growth out of me Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts