The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just upgraded to a 150 gallon tank with a built in overflow and now everytime I try to feed my fish the food flows straight towards the baffles, gets stuck and eventually goes down the overflow. Is there a trick to feeding where the food stays in the tank? Do I just have to turn my sump pump off while feeding? Is there a trick on how to position the circulation pumps that will nullify the topical current that flows toward the baffles? Any help will be greatly appreciated! I'm afraid my fish will starve off and die because of this.

· Registered
3,776 Posts
I would just turn it off. It seems you got the flow working the way it should be. You want all the crap to go down the overflow to get skimmed or to lay on the sump floor. If you dont have one a apex makes it easy to turn the pump off while feeding but for the price of it check out the other features of it

· Registered
838 Posts
It sounds like you're feeding flakes if so what I do is pinch the flakes and then hold them under water for a few seconds then let go. This usually allows the flakes to stay under the water and not float on the top.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you're feeding flakes if so what I do is pinch the flakes and then hold them under water for a few seconds then let go. This usually allows the flakes to stay under the water and not float on the top.
Nope, not feeding flakes. I've been feeding them either the frozen Marine Cuisine or freeze dried brine shrimp. Just about all the food I feed them stays floating for a while, and when I've tried feeding them the pellets that sink they just fall too quickly and hit the substrate before the fish even see them. :cry:

· Registered
838 Posts
Nope, not feeding flakes. I've been feeding them either the frozen Marine Cuisine or freeze dried brine shrimp. Just about all the food I feed them stays floating for a while, and when I've tried feeding them the pellets that sink they just fall too quickly and hit the substrate before the fish even see them. :cry:
Ohh then I would shut off the return pump and then feed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.