The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Reefer
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh the humanity... I've kept a 20Gl Nano Reef setup for a year in my office at work with great success with lots of Corals, inverts, and critters....... until the recent "great 4th of July crash". My work decided to turn off the AC for the long weekend without notice and with the heat wave then it caused my reef temp. to go over 90 degrees. Since the temp in the building is "usually" very stable I didn't think that I would need a chiller. Of course at that temp for up to 3 days everything died on me. I had to drain all of the water out, scoop out the dead stuff and refill with clean water. I'm left with Live (used to be) Rock with dying (Pink) Coraline Algea and a couple of closed up Polyp colonies.

3 Questions,

1) Is there any suggestions available on my next course of action would be in an effort to save the remaining rock, sand and polyps ?

2) Will the Coraline Dyeing stop since there is new and clean water in there and / or Do I need to reseed both LR and Sand ?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions for a good and inexpensive idas for a chiller ?

BTW, for filtration before the crash I was only using the LR.

Any suggestions or anyone having a similar experience please respond which would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's awful!!!!!!

As for the L/R and sand, prolly will come back given time. The polyps may as well, they can be very resilient but also stubborn.

I think you might get a cycle going in the tank, to be expected.

If you want to reseed the sand, I don't think that would be such a problem. Go to a lfs use frequent, exp;ain to them and ask for bottom sludge from their rock tanks, or PA offers from theirs at about $1.50/lb. That would certainly reseed your tank. (I need to get some of that myself)

For your chiller ?, I'll leave that to somebody else, I don't have one.

Good luck with the recovery

Lee:beer:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Sorry about your crash. The coralline and things should come back...it may take some time and you might need to seed the tank with some new critters and rock.

Here's the smallest, least expensive chiller i know of...it might be just the right thing for a 20g:

premiums price is cheaper overall with the controller, which you would need:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=IPWC-50&Category_Code=Minichill

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4902

Sorry for your loss :(
Brooke

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Sorry to hear that; I had 2 crashes in my nano at work. One due to a stuck heater and one due to "loss of ambient environmental controls." It didn't get any easier the 2nd time. :(

Good luck with the chiller.

Alice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts