The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: my xenias are melting; what should i do? all parameters are normal and everything else is doing fine.

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Welcome to saltwater. I wish I had an answer. They only grow in one of my 3 tanks. And now they don't open at all in that one. I used to harvest like weeds now nothing.

No real answer here. I know most tanks that do well with them don't skim much and have low lights. Other than that. It's a crap shoot.

Todd

·
Registered
161 Posts
I dont know either but I have a Coralife Super Skimmer on my 58G and my Xenia is growing like weeds about 6 inches from my MH light. No one really knows why it lives and dies in tanks that are similar.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree. I have heard low light and high light. Dirty water and clean water. Then you hear of people that have it for years then all of the sudden gone. I guess that is what makes this hobby interesting. If it all dies and you want to try some more let me know. I have the white / pinkish pom pom type.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pompom tends to like lower light(like PC's and VHO's) while elongata(sp?) seems to like halides. But thats just a guess from what ive seen.

Its a try it a see coral. might live, might not, might pulse, might not....no one really knows for sure.

But if you have one kind that aint working, try a different kind.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I read a article in an older TFH mag that said sometimes xenia just meltsdown. They said there isnt any proven reason but they do grow back after they melt so it should be a huge loss. They also grow more whent the melt.. This is out of TFH though so its up to you..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I have a veritable farm of the stuff in my 65 with 384W of PC light. I have to cut it back about every 2 or 3 weeks or it gets really out of control.

If anyone ever wants any, let me know and I will be happy to let you have a cutting next time I do the "harvest"...

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
What variety of xenia do you have parsonsaj? If it's the pulsing umbrella type, then I would love some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts